Startup Looping in all Modes

eddy

Hi
Restating the PC displays the "Start Up Recovery Menu" with message "Windows
did not start succesfully ..." and 5 options are displayed:
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Network
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Last Know Configuration
Start Windows normally

Tried each of the above options and PC reboot and every time displays the
Start up Recovery Menu described above. So it is looping.

I can re-boot from a bootable disk, so can access the hard disk but not sure
what's next.

Any ideas how to break the loop?

Thanks

NB - Previous to the above problem, I had a request to Activate Windows XP
Home but this was activated sometime ago. Activation failed with message
"Unable to establish a connection with activation server ..." After many
(lots) attempts to connect via moderm and ISDN gave up & switched PC off,
following morning got into the loop described above.
--
Eddy

Run an Upgrade setup. If you run an XP "Upgrade"setup, from the original, or "Gold" version of the setup CD, and you have SP2
installed, it might go into a setup loop, and you could lose your install. Uninstall SP2, BEFORE you Upgrade setup from CD (that
lacks sp2 on it.)
875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350 How to
Perform a Windows XP Repair Install: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
--