Your question

Slow comp...what card to get?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • RAM
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 12, 2003 9:36:04 PM

Well, my friend has a p4 1.5ghz, 256mb ram comp, not sure what mobo, and he wants a new video card for christmas. He said he had 300 bucks to spend and was gonna go for a radeon 9800pro, but i just told him to wait a bit while i check things out for him. Im not quite sure if a uber card will help a crappy comp out much so it would help if i could get some suggestions on what kind of video card he should get. Thanks

More about : slow comp card

a b U Graphics card
December 12, 2003 10:39:29 PM

It's not really a bad choice. Perhaps an R9800non-pro (not an SE!) would be a smarter choice and save some bucks. While many games will not fully benifit from the increased card as they are CPU limited (some get the same score with an R9600Pro as with an R9800XT), others would see great benifits. The thing that he, and you, need to think of is whether this card will likely outlast the CPU/MOBO. If he gets the R9800non-pro then later (like next X-mas) he can upgrade his CPU/MBO, and then upgrade to another new Graphics card the next year (Longhorn/DX10/R500 era). Should he decide to buy an R9600Pro or FX5700 or even a GF4ti now, he will definitely feel the pinch to upgrade that later as well, thus compressing his upgrade cycle.

At around $200 and R9800 is slightly (~$50) more expensive than an R9600Pro, and is about the same price (+/- $10-20) as the R9600XT, yet offers a great deal more power IMO.

I say that as a very happy R9600Pro owner.

But like anything else, that's just my two frames worth.

Take a look at <A HREF="http://" target="_new">this Xbit labs review</A> (Cleeve beat me too it today, so you can thank him for it :wink: ), it may shed a bit more light on the subject for you.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 

<b>-NEW PIC IN THGC ALBUM-</b>
December 13, 2003 3:23:52 PM

That box needs more ram too. 256mb isnt really much these days and most games would have to page, thus slowing the performance down.

Barton 2500+ @ 2200mhz (10x220 vcore @ 1.775)
Asus A7N8X Dlx 440 FSB
1gb Geil GD pc3500 Dual Channel (2-3-3-6)
Segata 80gb SATA 8.5ms seek
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro(420/700)
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 13, 2003 6:04:08 PM

Hey that's how I buy my cardz!

Sweet, when the 4000MX comes in NakedLadies boxes (not the Bare Naked Ladies though) I'm in trouble. :wink:

Evil Goalie rules All!

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil: 

<b>-NEW PIC IN THGC ALBUM-</b>
!