HP1220cxi print head cleaning

I've had this printer since new and normally I love the output. One
thing that bugs me is after long periods of non-use, it seems that
it's always reporting that one of the carts is empty. Right now it's
got a relatively new color cart in it and I haven't used the printer
for 2 months... and the ink light is flashing. I can't even get it to
print a test page... the light just keeps flashing. This printer is
on a network (home) connected via a HP JetDirect print server. It
normally runs like a charm, but isn't there some way I can force it to
clean the nozzles? I keep thinking I'm throwing away carts that are
1/2 to 3/4 full.

I guess it's time to consider learning how to refill on my own, but I
would want to make sure that any kit I bought was relatively
goof-proof and the ink was of decent quality. I have a half-dozen or
so carts that I think are salvage-able so any advice on this front
would help too.

But I'd like to know why I can't force-feed the cleaning process?

Mike

<drgrafix@hotpotato.com> wrote in message
> I've had this printer since new and normally I love the output. One
> thing that bugs me is after long periods of non-use, it seems that
> it's always reporting that one of the carts is empty. Right now it's
> got a relatively new color cart in it and I haven't used the printer
> for 2 months... and the ink light is flashing. I can't even get it to
> print a test page... the light just keeps flashing.

The flashing light would indicate a problem with one of the cartridges, not
that they are out of ink. There are a few things you can try: open the lid
and look for where the carriage moves. A pointer on the top of the carriage
will point at one of five possible locations. These are molded into the upper
part of the printer and indicate good cartridges (happy face), problem with
black or color (sad face with one dot or three dots) or low on ink for black or
color.

The low on ink sensor will not prevent the printer from printing, it is only an
indicator to warn the user that they should have a new cartridge available for
when the cartridge runs out of ink.

Assuming that the pointer indicates a problem with one of the cartridges I
would start by cleaning the cartridge and printer contacts as shown at the
following:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpa02060

Regards,
Microsoft MVP

Bob...

I will try that hard reset, but my question is still there... I'm
wondering if inactivity somehow screws up the cartridges meaning the
print head gets gummed up or something along those lines?

Since you appear to be a HP person, would you say that refill kits are
OK for those of us who don't have deep pockets and are faced with one
color being either expended or clogged beyond help?

One other question I have, and that is whether you can force a true
print head cleaning somehow? I have some carts that refuse to print
test pages, and others just print black and two colors.

Thanks in advance for helping me out here.

Mike

<captmikey@toysoldier.com> wrote in message
> Bob...
>
> I will try that hard reset, but my question is still there... I'm
> wondering if inactivity somehow screws up the cartridges meaning the
> print head gets gummed up or something along those lines?

Inactivity can cause a printhead to become clogged, but it generally takes a
*long* time, and this is not the problem you have. If the printehead were
clogged but electrically OK it would still try to print, although it may not
properly print all the nozzles. In long periods of storage it is also possibe
for oxides or cyrstalization to build up on the intereconnect. The latter will
cause the symptoms you are seeing and may be cured by following the
interconnect cleaning procedure outlined in the page I previously referenced:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bpa02060

> One other question I have, and that is whether you can force a true
> print head cleaning somehow? I have some carts that refuse to print
> test pages, and others just print black and two colors.

If the printer will not print a test page it will not do a head cleaning
either. The cartridge rejection is based on the printer doing an electrical
check of the cartridge and finding that it fails for some reason. In this case
the printer will not print or service the printer since doing so could damage
the printer electronics depending on the cartridge fault.

You can force test pages using the same key sequences for the 900 series
DeskJet's as shown at the following:
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/hub_search/document.jhtml?lc=en&docName=bpd07098#P128_4385

As for refills, HP's position is described at:
http://h20015.www2.hp.com/hub_search/document.jhtml?lc=en&docName=bpa00113

Regards,
Microsoft MVP