"I/O device error" prevents file deletion

XP Pro, SP2

I'm connected by USB to a Maxtor OneTouch ext HD. In trying to delete
stuff, an occasional file generates the following errror:

"Cannot delete <filename>: The request could not be performed because of an
I/O device error."

Can't get rid of the file in any way.

What's up with that?

Thanks.
Ken
1 answer Last reply
More about device error prevents file deletion

    "Ken" wrote:

    > XP Pro, SP2
    >
    > I'm connected by USB to a Maxtor OneTouch ext HD. In trying to delete
    > stuff, an occasional file generates the following errror:
    >
    > "Cannot delete <filename>: The request could not be performed because of an
    > I/O device error."
    >
    > Can't get rid of the file in any way.
    >
    > What's up with that?
    >
    > Thanks.