Napster is Back With New $5 Subscription Service

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I like pandora. It's free, and I get to be exposed to new bands that I've never heard of, but are within the styles that I like.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]I prefer these all you can eat services.[/citation]
Stay away from the breadsticks. They fill you up faster.

I'm for the open subscriptions as well. You may not own the song but you still have instant access to it as long as you keep the service. Sure there's songs you'll want to buy but a lot of songs loose their novelty.

paranoidmage

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2008
You’ll also get five “unrestricted” songs each month that you can burn, play and transfer as many times as you want.

So most of the songs downloaded will be deleted after we listen to them? That's a great service.

It also sounds a lot better than itunes. Let's do the math. $5 for 5 songs you can actually keep. 5 songs from itunes at 99 cents each will cost 4.95. That's a whole lot cheaper than itunes, right? You only loose 5 cents.

My pirate ship seems to get songs at the lowest price though: free.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]paranoidmage[/nom]So most of the songs downloaded will be deleted after we listen to them? That's a great service. It also sounds a lot better than itunes.[/citation]

You're not downloading the content, you're streaming it. You can't delete something you never had to begin with. You're essentially paying $5 for unlimited streaming and get to download five songs as a bonus.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]paranoidmage[/nom]So most of the songs downloaded will be deleted after we listen to them? That's a great service. It also sounds a lot better than itunes. Let's do the math. $5 for 5 songs you can actually keep. 5 songs from itunes at 99 cents each will cost 4.95. That's a whole lot cheaper than itunes, right? You only loose 5 cents.My pirate ship seems to get songs at the lowest price though: free.[/citation]

Who said you download the music? You get to hear all the songs you want at any time for the subscription fee + commercial free radio stations, which is really cool.

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Physical CD media all the way. You get your backup right from the start and also the booklet with art and lyrics. Cost's more than download, but - you get what you pay for. I don't actually listen to the CDs - they get ripped right after I get them.

I'm also suspicious about the breadth of offerings from these services considering I only listen to melodic death metal...

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]paranoidmage[/nom]My pirate ship seems to get songs at the lowest price though: free.[/citation]

Wow...did we book the same cruise? These pirate ship cruise deals do seem to offer the most substantial savings.

jsloan

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
i just went to napster and their subscriptions start at $12.95/m!

did someone make a mistake, or do i have to go to specific link or maybe this is not available yet...

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Maybe the $5 thing starts tomorrow since the news release is dated tomorrow.

I currently use Pandora for all my music needs. It works for me because I'm not someone who has headphones attached to my ears while away from a PC.

millerm84

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
jsloan
i just went to napster and their subscriptions start at $12.95/m!

did someone make a mistake, or do i have to go to specific link or maybe this is not available yet...

ummmm......

In a press release dated for tomorrow, May 19, Napster announced that for just $5 a month, subscribers will get unlimited, streaming access to the Napster library, which boasts 7 million tracks from both major and independent labels. Along with your unlimited streaming, you’ll also get five “unrestricted” songs each month that you can burn, play and transfer as many times as you want.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Streaming? So this isn't going to be supported by most mp3 players or smart phones (do they plan a iPhone or Android app)?

I'm all for getting free unlimited streaming of songs with the purchase of 5 tracks, but being locked to a computer and Internet connection doesn't sound very practical. I mean, I can't install napster software on my work computer, nor can I bring in a personal computer, nor would I have access to the internet if I did, so basically, I can't use this service during the day when I might actually want to do so. In the end it sounds like I'd still be spending money on individual songs and only streaming content at nights or on the weekends (assuming I'm not out doing something).

G

i just bought a new nokia and it came with a year of free downloads from nokias music store,so i´ll let the bucaneer ship sail without me for a while. im not connected all the time and i like to carry as little as possible, so my phone has wifi and 3g for lite browsing, ad chatting, downloading some music, stereo bluetooth to connect to my car stereo or headphones when riding my bike.And the music can also be downloaded to my computer to hear at home.

sublifer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Along with your unlimited streaming, you’ll also get five “unrestricted” songs each month that you can burn, play and transfer as many times as you want.
Awsome! This is a pricing model I've vocalized on the web. I'm sure I'm not the only guy with that idea but I'm just glad its available. I was paying $15/mo for Rhapsody, only like two months after the initial subscription and decided it wasn't worth it cuz I didn't get to keep anything for my money. Yay!

Eggrenade

Distinguished
May 24, 2008
I've been very happy with my Zune pass for the last two months, and after I sell some of my 10 DRM free songs to my sister for slightly less than iTunes it barely costs anything. That's why they call me "Tight-Wallet McMoneybags."

Caffeinecarl

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
I'm all for REAL CD's for the majority of my stuff, but I also use emusic.com and if I really can't find what I want, Amazon MP3.

I quit using pirate music for the same reason I quit using pirate software... too many "stowaways".

Orion1024

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
Well, for $5 a month I had to try it and just signed up. Bad news is that the bitrate sounds like 128kbps at best to me. Even through cheap headphones the compression is very obvious with muted cymbals, etc. I wouldn't even want to know how it sounds through a decent setup. Oddly enough, rips I've done at 128kbps from CDs sound much better in comparison...hmmmm.

thehat2k5

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
I am all for napster, always have been. The millions of advertising sheep out there that have fallen for iTunes, iLife, iPlay, iPod, are really just iPawns in Apples monopoly.
The fact that I can buy whatever MP3 player I like, other than iCrap, and still listen to the music I download makes sooo much more sense. Not to mention that even at $14.99 per month ( the price for unlimited downloads to your MP3 player ) its WAAAYY cheaper than iCrap.
Two Thumbs UP for the record companies that bought and reshaped Napster;-)

plbyrd

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
Napster obviously wants you to upgrade to the Napster-to-Go service (which I adore with all my heart) that allows you to download almost all of the tunes on their store (a few bands require some songs to only be available by stream ::ahem:: U2 ::ahem::). Plus, you get to sync that music to three Plays for Sure devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.