Sign in with
Your question

Tricky IT Interview Question — “Authentication Protocol”

Last response: in Business Computing
July 17, 2012 3:07:19 AM

Hello Peeps,
I have an upcoming IT Interview and I was sent a a set of questions from the employer in regards to a few IT scenarios. This position is for a Jr Tech for an Education Organization. The problem is that I don’t Understand what they mean by the term “Authentication Protocol” ?? in regards to this question…

((Question))

Scenario:
You have just received 200 brand new computers to authenticate, image and test for the new program for the upcoming school year. You have 2 weeks before school start date. There is a document of websites that need to be unblocked from the firewall, an authentication protocol, and a list of plug-ins that need to be installed. How does that affect your imaging process?

–> What do you guys think they mean by “Authentication Protocol” in this scenario.

Thanks a million!
July 17, 2012 3:42:44 AM

An Authentication protocol is the mechanism used to verify that someone requesting access to a service is whom they say that they are and that they are authorized to have access to the service.

The most primitive form of authentication is Anonymous authentication, anyone can use the service with little or no validation.

Next up is basic authentication or password authentication. The user or machine is authorized based on a provided password.

Next are more advanced forms of authentication such as Kerberos which use symmetric/asymmetric cryptography to protect against eavesdropping and password cracking.

There are more but I'll leave that up to you. With 200 brand new computers on a system you'll most likely be tasked with preventing unauthorized machines from obtaining network access. This means that each machine must be validated on the network (so that kids don't plug their laptops into the wired network and are thus forced to use the heavily protected wifi) and each user logging on to a machine must also be validated (so that non-students don't get to use the network).
m
l
!