annomolies with windows!!!

dinkster9

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2001
whenever my computer boots up, my ATI folder opens up. I mean i like my ati video card and all, but i really don't want its folder to open everytime i boot. I check in sysedit to see if it was loading there, NO, checked my startup folder, again, its not in there. Took a look at registry, but got lost (didn't really know what to look for).

I'm running windows 2000kpro with all updates and sp3. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Just to clarify, its not a program loading up, its an actuall folder which was closed when i shut down, but when i bootup its there again on my desktop.

"sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick"
*grabs a stick and places it into the flames; mmmm, smores*
%Think before you act would be a good motto%

Beetle

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2002
i almost hate wasting a post like this, but man thats F'ed up. i cant think of any better advice than to reinstall windows. you MIGHT want to try changing the folder name (to ATI1 or somthing like that) and if it works great, if it doesnt, i would format and reinstall. thats just plain weird.

FallOutBoyTonto

Distinguished
May 6, 2003
Took a look at registry, but got lost (didn't really know what to look for)
The place to look in the registry for startup is here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> SOFTWARE -> Microsoft -> Windows -> CurrentVersion -> Run

I'm not sure if there would be anything in there that would open a folder though, but you can take a look anyway.

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=24106" target="_new"> My System Rig</A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=535386" target="_new"> 3DMark03</A>

chandanarahul

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2003
Why don't u post everything u see under startup tab. I had the same issue before and it stopped when un checked comething that's completely irrelevant to the folder that's opening.

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
Heya dinkster:

Download the network installation version of SP4, then burn it to CD or put it on a backup drive, and Install, if that doesnt resolve the problem then just reinstall, then you will have SP4 for the reinstall, i cant think of a way to fix that issue off the top of my head but there are many poeple here that are an MCSE that may be able to help you out, so ask around a bit first as this isnt a serious issue interfering with normal operation.

XeeN