weigh in on 9800se vs 9600xt

rotoghost

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2003
Who here has had experience with a real retail sample of the 9800se? Pricewatch has a Sapphire 9800se cheaper than a 9600xt currently... can anyone tell me if there is a significant performace difference in favor of either card?

end of line

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
He has a PowerColor.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The 9800SE is SLOWER than the 9600 Pro. Here's the reason:

Both cards have only 4 rendering pipelines
Both cards have a 128-bit memory interface
Both cards have 300MHz RAM

But the 9600 Pro has a 400MHz chip, while the 9800SE is closer to 300MHz. So the 9600 Pro is clocked higher, and other performance factors are identicle.

The 9600XT is clocked higher than the 9600 Pro, so it's even faster still.

You don't need the 9600XT to beat the 9800SE, the 9600 Pro will do it, for $50 less than the XT.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
I just read a digit-life review with a bunch of ATi cards in the mix, and the 9800SE was neck and neck with a 9500 non pro :tongue:
<A HREF="http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/radeon/sapphire-5.html" target="_new">http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/radeon/sapphire-5.html</A>

<b>I help because you suck.</b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That makes sense since they're the same card and the differences between a 9700 and 9800 VPU are not noteworthy