  • Support
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
April 2, 2005 3:29:48 AM

My WinXp Home O/S configured with multi-users will reboot everytime if you
use the "switch user" (option when logging off). The reboot occurs when you
select another account to log onto.
If you choose the "log off" option the reboot does not occur.

I notice when using the "switch user" option that when you select another
account the "loading local settings" message does not display. It does when
using the other option or simply logging on from a clean boot.

Thanks in advance.

More about : switch user causing reboot

Anonymous
April 2, 2005 1:43:31 PM

To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC /SCANNOW (see: Description of Windows XP and Windows Server
2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310747 )

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"Brent Stevenson" <essexbs@insightbb.com> wrote in message news:uSXh$T0NFHA.2144@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> My WinXp Home O/S configured with multi-users will reboot everytime if you use the "switch user" (option when logging off). The
> reboot occurs when you select another account to log onto.
> If you choose the "log off" option the reboot does not occur.
>
> I notice when using the "switch user" option that when you select another account the "loading local settings" message does not
> display. It does when using the other option or simply logging on from a clean boot.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
April 3, 2005 1:33:17 PM

Any other ideas, that did not work? I have anti-spy software installed. Is
there a Registry seting that coulkd be corrupted?

Thanks

"Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC
> /SCANNOW (see: Description of Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 System
> File Checker (Sfc.exe):
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310747 )
>
> --
>
> Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
> FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
> marfers notes for windows xp
> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/chatNotes.htm
> .
> "Brent Stevenson" <essexbs@insightbb.com> wrote in message
>> My WinXp Home O/S configured with multi-users will reboot everytime if
>> you use the "switch user" (option when logging off). The reboot occurs
>> when you select another account to log onto.
>> If you choose the "log off" option the reboot does not occur.
>>
>> I notice when using the "switch user" option that when you select another
>> account the "loading local settings" message does not display. It does
>> when using the other option or simply logging on from a clean boot.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
April 3, 2005 1:56:58 PM

I would create two new user accounts and make a test of the Fast User Switching system. If it still fails I would run a 'Repair' or
Upgrade setup. If not, you can copy the data to new profiles

How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811151

If you run an XP "Upgrade"setup, from the original, or "Gold" version of the setup CD, and you have SP2 installed, it might go into
a setup loop, and you could lose your install. Uninstall SP2, BEFORE you Upgrade setup from CD (that lacks sp2 on it.)
875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350 How to
Perform a Windows XP Repair Install: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
--

!