Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Help! Buying My First Laptop for College

Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
Share
May 3, 2012 3:33:12 PM

Hello, I'm a senior in high school and I'm going to be attending college in a 3-4 months and I need help on purchasing my first laptop! The type of laptop I'm looking for is one that I can use for everyday things for college, but also be able to play some games on it. As of right now after doing a little bit of research I've come across the Alienware 17x R4 (which just came out a week ago I believe) and the HP Envy 17 3D. Suggestions, recommendations, and opinions of what I should purchase would be incredible!

1. What is your budget?

Around $1500-$1800 or a little more if necessary

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

17'

3. What screen resolution do you want?

1080p/ Full HD

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Portable, as mentioned I will be attending college

5. How much battery life do you need?

2-3 Hours, I've heard that's how long a typical class lecture would last

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Yes! Battlefield 3, Diablo 3, SWTOR. I would prefer to have these games run at high settings

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)

Typical college needs and maybe some video editing

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

Enough to be able to put games, work from college, as well as movies and music

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

None

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

Preferably 3-4 years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

I just want to be able to play some bluray movies on it

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

None

13. What country do you live in?

United States

More about : buying laptop college

May 3, 2012 4:49:09 PM


You should probably wait until July 1st.

Sorry to be the bearer of the bad news :kaola:  but it is actually good news.

On July 1st you may be entertained (and rewarded) by the SMACKDOWN OF THE NEW MILLENIUM

Trinity V. Ivy

Be Thare :o 



Score
0
a c 572 D Laptop
May 3, 2012 6:53:18 PM

celticsharks22 said:
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 17'
4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable, as mentioned I will be attending college
Have you handled a 17" notebook?
They call those 'desktop replacement's for a reason. They're big.

Go out and find a 17" notebook - at your local BestBuy probably - and see if that meets your definition of 'portable'.

Score
0
Related resources
a b D Laptop
May 3, 2012 7:01:53 PM

WR2 said:
Have you handled a 17" notebook?
They call those 'desktop replacement's for a reason. They're big.

Go out and find a 17" notebook - at your local BestBuy probably - and see if that meets your definition of 'portable'.


He said a 17' as in feet! lol! thats not portable! haha /joking

Anyways, if you really plan on keeping the laptop 3-4 years I would take Wisecracker's advise and wait for Trinity Laptops VS Ivy Bridge laptops.

Trinity laptops should have sick gaming (GPU) performance. Ivy bridge laptops should have a lot of CPU performance.
Score
0
a c 572 D Laptop
May 3, 2012 7:05:55 PM

If you're interested in what a desktop replacement gaming notebook looks like:
ASUS G75VW 17" gaming notebook ~$1415
Core i7-3610QM 2.3Ghz Ivy Bridge CPU, 12GB quad channel RAM, 1.5GB HDD (2x750GB) 17.3" 1920x1080 LCD w/ GTX 670M graphics.
About 8.7 lbs or 10lbs with the AC power brick.


Score
0
May 3, 2012 8:13:04 PM


The cost of the 17-foot laptop ain't so bad. It's the price of the new truck you need to haul it around that's killer. And yah might want to wear a cup.

Hopefully by July 1st Trinity/Ivy models will be out in the 'Wild' and features, impressions and performance info will be readily available for review. Are you ready for some price wars?

And it will certainly drive down prices on older stuff that might be of interest to you.

But the new stuff looks to be sweet stuff, and much better stuff, than the old, busted hot stuff.

Yahdig?

:p 


Score
0
a b D Laptop
May 3, 2012 8:28:33 PM

Wisecracker said:
The cost of the 17-foot laptop ain't so bad. It's the price of the new truck you need to haul it around that's killer. And yah might want to wear a cup.

Hopefully by July 1st Trinity/Ivy models will be out in the 'Wild' and features, impressions and performance info will be readily available for review. Are you ready for some price wars?

And it will certainly drive down prices on older stuff that might be of interest to you.

But the new stuff looks to be sweet stuff, and much better stuff, than the old, busted hot stuff.

Yahdig?

:p 


I like the way this guy thinks :sol:  . But really this is golden information!
Score
0
May 3, 2012 9:16:12 PM

WR2 said:
Have you handled a 17" notebook?
They call those 'desktop replacement's for a reason. They're big.

Go out and find a 17" notebook - at your local BestBuy probably - and see if that meets your definition of 'portable'.


Oh I didn't really know they were considered as 'desktop replacement's'. But yes I've handled 17'' notebooks before from my friends and I don't find them heavy or hard to carry around at all. But thanks for your input!
Score
0
May 3, 2012 9:17:39 PM

Wisecracker said:
You should probably wait until July 1st.

Sorry to be the bearer of the bad news :kaola:  but it is actually good news.

On July 1st you may be entertained (and rewarded) by the SMACKDOWN OF THE NEW MILLENIUM

Trinity V. Ivy

Be Thare :o 


Oh really?! I've never heard of this at all (lack of tech knowledge). Do you think you have a link you can direct me to with some more information?
Score
0
a c 572 D Laptop
May 3, 2012 9:24:40 PM

AMD is announcing Trinity on May 15th. The NDA embargoes will lift and you'll start hearing more details about performance, models and options.
You probably won't need to wait till July 1st to figure out which direction you want to go.

AMD Trinity and Piledriver detailed
http://www.nordichardware.com/news/69-cpu-chipset/45809...
Score
0
May 3, 2012 9:29:47 PM

celticsharks22 said:
Oh I didn't really know they were considered as 'desktop replacement's'. But yes I've handled 17'' notebooks before from my friends and I don't find them heavy or hard to carry around at all. But thanks for your input!


the laptop, no, but then add 20 or 30 pounds of textbooks, clothes, notebooks, pens papers and then it becomes a burden. If you want to lug it around, don't get anything bigger than 15". 17" is fine if you want to leave it in the dorm, locked and chained up.
Score
0
May 3, 2012 9:34:26 PM

WR2 said:
AMD is announcing Trinity on May 15th. The NDA embargoes will lift and you'll start hearing more details about performance, models and options.
You probably won't need to wait till July 1st to figure out which direction you want to go.

AMD Trinity and Piledriver detailed
http://www.nordichardware.com/news/69-cpu-chipset/45809...


Well it seems like it will be going in my favor, as I don't plan to order anything yet until around the end of the month. But when that time comes will the Trinity start becoming an option, when people start ordering laptops?
Score
0
May 3, 2012 9:36:51 PM

egilbe said:
the laptop, no, but then add 20 or 30 pounds of textbooks, clothes, notebooks, pens papers and then it becomes a burden. If you want to lug it around, don't get anything bigger than 15". 17" is fine if you want to leave it in the dorm, locked and chained up.


:o  Right right, I see and understand the point. I guess I'll have a 15'' as an option as well, however I still wouldn't mind at all if I were to get a 17''. Thank you though for the opinion :D 
Score
0
a c 572 D Laptop
May 3, 2012 9:42:17 PM

Early benchmarks are leaking out and they're looking pretty good.
AMD Trinity A10-4600M benchmarks
http://hexus.net/tech/news/cpu/38533-amd-trinity-a10-46...

If you're OK with the weight and size of the 17" models - of course get what you want.

I'm pretty sure the majority (95%) of your classmates are going to be on 15" or smaller notebooks (or tablets) while in classes. And a surprising number (mostly upper class) won't carry a notebook to a lot of the classes.

Speaking of options:
A 11.6" backpack alternative
Score
0
May 3, 2012 9:56:17 PM

Oh I see! Well thanks for letting me know about the Trinity. Although, I still don't know what brand of laptop I should consider buying. Or should I just stop looking at current models and wait till the new products come out with the availability of the Trinity?
Score
0
May 3, 2012 10:00:09 PM

celticsharks22 said:
Oh I see! Well thanks for letting me know about the Trinity. Although, I still don't know what brand of laptop I should consider buying. Or should I just stop looking at current models and wait till the new products come out with the availability of the Trinity?


no sense rushing into purchasing now, when the tech gets better and better and you get back to school sales in the Summer. Yeah, you get tired of lugging around a heavy laptop :)  You are better off buying something small to take to classes and building a desktop to play games on.
Score
0

Best solution

a c 572 D Laptop
May 3, 2012 10:06:05 PM

No reason to stop looking. Hang around here for a few weeks.
I think you'll pick up enough info and knowledge to make a good choice.
Having more options and some flexibility about when you buy is a good thing right now.

Have you gone on any campus tours and looked around the lecture halls?
Share
May 3, 2012 10:14:00 PM

Oh okay thanks guys. Yeah I plan on staying on here for a bit until I've made the decision on what laptop to buy. Uh yes I have why?
Score
0
May 11, 2012 3:56:44 AM

Best answer selected by celticsharks22.
Score
0
May 11, 2012 6:47:30 PM


June 20th, Baby [:lutfij:4]

I'm getting really good at putting one of these on HP AMD mobiles :D  and cloning the OS.

Makes it kinda 'snappy'


Score
0
a c 249 D Laptop
February 28, 2013 8:52:20 PM

Hi :) 

CLOSING due to age... but please start another thread if you are still having problems , which I will answer promptly...

All the best Brett :) 
Score
0
!