installing a new operating system

Bruce Chambers Wrote:
> DRojo wrote:-
> ok.. i had windows xp professional; and after it slowly deteriorated
> on
> me, my computer will not start (it simply says operating system not
> found). Because I bought my computer second hand I do not have a
> replacement operating system disk. So I burned a copy of a friend of
> mine's windows 2000, because she doesn't use it anymore, but still
> wants to keep it. I put the disk in and started my computer (and
> tried
> putting the disk in after it started as well) but it wont read the
> disk.
> I think that my computer has to be on and at the desktop for the
> installation thing to pop up, but does anyone have any suggestions on
> commands I can type in so that it reads the disk, allowing me to
> install it? I really cannot afford to get it fixed professionally;
> and
> the disk should work because i tried it in a friends computer. Help!
> :)
>
> -
>

> Once you've purchased a legitimate (a burned copy of a friend's CD
> doesn't qualify) OS license of your own:
>
> Simply boot from the Win2K installation CD. You'll be offered the
> opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as part of the
> installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot
> devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)
>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
> having
> both at once. - RAH

It's me again... I received a real, legitimate, Windows 98 today. I
got it from my aunt who does not use it anymore, and uses XP.. But I'm
still having the same problem! The guy at the computer store said that
maybe my computer doesn't automatically boot from disks, and that my
computer might have to be reformatted in order to install it.. Is there
any way that I can avoid paying someone to do this.. and do it myself?
There must be some command that you can type in to make your computer
start reading a disk! I thought the windows 98 (although I would much
prefer XP) would solve the problem, but no matter what it wont start
spinning the disk when I put it in. Note to anyone out there as naive
as I was: Don't buy a used computer without making sure you receive the
operating system disk with it!

--
DRojo

Josh

Some older computers cannot read a CD without a driver loaded, and some older
computers will not boot with a CD. You need to make a bootable floppy disk.
This can be done from any other computer running your windows version. Or
take the Windows installation CD to another computer and make the floppy from
there. I cannot remember how to do it, but I am sure it can be done.

"DRojo" wrote:

> Bruce Chambers Wrote:
> > DRojo wrote:-
> > ok.. i had windows xp professional; and after it slowly deteriorated
> > on
> > me, my computer will not start (it simply says operating system not
> > found). Because I bought my computer second hand I do not have a
> > replacement operating system disk. So I burned a copy of a friend of
> > mine's windows 2000, because she doesn't use it anymore, but still
> > wants to keep it. I put the disk in and started my computer (and
> > tried
> > putting the disk in after it started as well) but it wont read the
> > disk.
> > I think that my computer has to be on and at the desktop for the
> > installation thing to pop up, but does anyone have any suggestions on
> > commands I can type in so that it reads the disk, allowing me to
> > install it? I really cannot afford to get it fixed professionally;
> > and
> > the disk should work because i tried it in a friends computer. Help!
> > :)
> >
> > -
> >

> > Once you've purchased a legitimate (a burned copy of a friend's CD
> > doesn't qualify) OS license of your own:
> >
> > Simply boot from the Win2K installation CD. You'll be offered the
> > opportunity to delete, create, and format partitions as part of the
> > installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot
> > devices in the PC's BIOS to boot from the CD.)
> >
> > --
> >
> > Bruce Chambers
> >
> > Help us help you:
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
> > having
> > both at once. - RAH
>

> It's me again... I received a real, legitimate, Windows 98 today. I
> got it from my aunt who does not use it anymore, and uses XP.. But I'm
> still having the same problem! The guy at the computer store said that
> maybe my computer doesn't automatically boot from disks, and that my
> computer might have to be reformatted in order to install it.. Is there
> any way that I can avoid paying someone to do this.. and do it myself?
> There must be some command that you can type in to make your computer
> start reading a disk! I thought the windows 98 (although I would much
> prefer XP) would solve the problem, but no matter what it wont start
> spinning the disk when I put it in. Note to anyone out there as naive
> as I was: Don't buy a used computer without making sure you receive the
> operating system disk with it!
>

> --
> DRojo

Josh brought next idea :
> Some older computers cannot read a CD without a driver loaded, and some older
> computers will not boot with a CD. You need to make a bootable floppy disk.
> This can be done from any other computer running your windows version. Or
> take the Windows installation CD to another computer and make the floppy from
> there. I cannot remember how to do it, but I am sure it can be done.
>
>> It's me again... I received a real, legitimate, Windows 98 today. I
>> got it from my aunt who does not use it anymore, and uses XP.. But I'm
>> still having the same problem! The guy at the computer store said that
>> maybe my computer doesn't automatically boot from disks, and that my
>> computer might have to be reformatted in order to install it.. Is there
>> any way that I can avoid paying someone to do this.. and do it myself?
>> There must be some command that you can type in to make your computer
>> start reading a disk! I thought the windows 98 (although I would much
>> prefer XP) would solve the problem, but no matter what it wont start
>> spinning the disk when I put it in. Note to anyone out there as naive
>> as I was: Don't buy a used computer without making sure you receive the
>> operating system disk with it!
>>

>> --
>> DRojo

You can download a bootdisk from here: