Defrag. causing xp to restart

Hi,

i've got the minimun 15% drive space to defrag, but part
way during the process the system restart, i login and i
am told my computer has recovered from a serious error.

any ideas folks?
2 answers Last reply
More about defrag causing restart

    Try going to run,type:cmd In cmd type:defrag /?
    You can run defrag in,analyze-mode only,and/or if disk space is low,
    force defrag to run.

    "Darren" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > i've got the minimun 15% drive space to defrag, but part
    > way during the process the system restart, i login and i
    > am told my computer has recovered from a serious error.
    >
    > any ideas folks?

    Any error messages would be helpful.

    Event ID & the Event Source are very important.

    To open the Event Viewer...
    Start | Run | Type: eventvwr | OK

    For any Events that seem related to the problem...

    Double click the event in Event Viewer | Click: the button below the
    second
    arrow (looks like two pages) [[Copies the details of the event to the
    Clipboard.]] | Paste into Notepad | Click:

    Read all info | Copy and paste to Notepad | Click the [+] Related
    Knowledge
    Base articles | Follow any links that might be useful

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427

    Event Viewer overview
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/event_overview_01.mspx

    This can also be very useful.
    You need to have the Event ID & the Event Source.

    To view Windows XP Events and Errors, type the Source (for example,
    Print) and/or the Event code (for example, 20) into the ID field, then
    click the Go button. Source and Event codes may be found in the Event
    Viewer logs.

    Windows XP Home/Professional Events and Errors
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/search.aspx?DisplayName=Windows%20XP%20Professional&ProdName=Windows%20Operating%20System&MajorMinor=5.1&LCID=1033

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:1b1c01c5375a$bb91b540$a601280a@phx.gbl,
    Darren <sharkeyv@yahoo.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hi,
    >
    > i've got the minimun 15% drive space to defrag, but part
    > way during the process the system restart, i login and i
    > am told my computer has recovered from a serious error.
    >
    > any ideas folks?

Defragment Windows XP