hammer

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2001

Gerry,

Thanks for your reply. I've tried to answer your questions to the best
of my ability. MY responses are in teal after each of your
suggestions/questions.

Try Ctrl+Alt+Delete to bring Task Manager and select the Process Tab.
What is the Commit Charge? Two figures divided by backslash.

The commit charge numbers a 0K/241868K

Have you ever downloaded any memory boosters or the like? Some web
sites
can offer these and it can be easy to accept the offer when they are
best declined!

I have but it was deleted sometime ago.

Has the hard disk been partitioned?

No additional partitioning except for what was done on the original
install, is this what you meant?

Try Start, Run, type regedit and hit OK. Then find the following in
the
Registry.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Session Manager\Memory
Management

What is the data shown for the "Pagingfiles" key? Do NOT try changing
anything in the Registry!

C:\Pagefile.sys 382 700

How is your hard disk formatted? FAT32 or NTFS?

I'm certain it is NTFS. How do I find out?

Do you have the Intel Application Accelerator installed? If yes what
version? Select Start, Control Panel, Add/ Remove
Programs. There were problems associated with early versions.

I do have it installed but can't remove it. When I try to remove it I
get an error message " C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Rundll32.exe" Paging file
is to small for this operation to complete

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hammer" Hammer.1muj1n@pcbanter.net wrote in message

I reloaded windows XP using the REPAIR console trying to fix several
errors on the machine. I'm running a 1.5mhz Pentium 4 with 256 mg of
rambus memory on an Intel board. Everything seemed to go just fine
except for an error message telling me that my paging file is to
small.
I've tried to reset it but that doesn't seem to work. In other words
the
system is not accepting the change. As a resualt it almost always
takes
10 minutes exactly to load window. Has anyone some ideas? Have I
provided enough information?
Thanks
Hammer

--
Hammer-

--
Hammer

Hammer

The Commit Charge figures doe not make sense. I would expect something
like 200,000 for the first figure and based on a pagefile and memory
figures you have supplied something like 650,000 for the second. The
first could be higher in which case it would, depending on how much
bigger it is, be an indicator that more RAM memory is needed. Please
recheck the figures as a zero for the first figure is a definite NO as
the machine should not be running if it using no memory.

How large is you hard disk and how much free space? Right click on your
C drive in Windows Explorer and select Properties to see this
information. You should also see there whether the drive is formatted as
NTFS or FAT32.

With regard to the Intel Application Accelerator I was not intending to
suggest you try to remove it. The intention was that you should look
there to see what version is installed

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry