windows update problem

When I go to windowsupdate.microsoft.com to check for updates for my
WinXP computer i get the following error message:

> [Error number: 0x8DDD0018]
>
> Windows Update cannot continue because a required service application is disabled. Windows Update requires the following services:
> Automatic Updates enables detection, downloading, and installation of critical updates for your computer.
> Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) enables faster, restartable downloading of updates.
> Event Log logs Windows Update events for troubleshooting. To ensure that these services are enabled:
>
> 1. Click Start, and then click Run.
> 2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
> 3. In the list of services, right-click the service name, and then click Properties.
> 4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic.
> 5. Verify that the service status is started.
>
> If this does not resolve the problem you may request help from one of the following resources.
>
> For self-help options:
> Windows Update Response Center
> Windows Update Troubleshooter
> Windows Update Newsgroups
>
> For assisted support options:
> Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for Windows Update issues)
>
> Read more about steps you can take to resolve this problem yourself.

I have configured the BITS service Startup type as 'Automatic'. I have
never had a problem with Windows Update before.

Please advise a possible solution.

Thank you,

Marty

Make sure that you have automatic updates turned on.

http://www.updatexp.com/0x8ddd0018.html
What causes Error 0x8ddd0018

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;883614

You receive a "Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the
requested page" error message when you try to install an update

BITS could be disabled or not started.

or:-
Click Start, select Run
In the Run box, type: regsvr32.exe wuaueng.dll
Click OK.

Also do the same for these two DLLs :
qmgr.dll
qmgrprxy.dll

After re-registering the dlls
Check here:-
Click Start, select Run, type: Regedit
locate the key
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\wuauserv

If you find a DeleteFlag value there, delete the DeleteFlag value.

Note you can save the registry key first by:
On the File menu, click Export.
In the File name box, type SaveKey, and then click Save.
Or create a system restore point prior to editing.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;322756
HOW TO: Back Up, Edit, and Restore the Registry in Windows XP

If none of this helps, try the WU Newsgroup stating your OS and what you've already
tried.
Windows Update newsgroup:
or
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&lang=en&cr=US