Inspiron 8100 -- slow hardware

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
January 26, 2005 7:21:03 PM

Hi,

I have an Inspiron 8100 (past the warranty period) that has
inexplicably become "slow."

I've actually re-formated and re-installed the OS -- and noticed that
the
whole process takes 3 - 4 times the usual time. Even formatting the
drive
takes a very long time, so I've ruled out software issues. No
hardware
changes have been made to the laptop.

Any ideas? Weak CMS battery? Bad hard drive?

Thanks.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 7:21:04 PM

"John" <doe@doe.com> wrote:
>whole process takes 3 - 4 times the usual time. Even formatting the
>drive takes a very long time

Maybe the drive is no longer in ATA-100 (or whatever) mode, but is
stuck in compatability mode, which is something like ATA-16. You can
check this in the drivers in WinXP, or using something like Aida
!