Inspiron 8100 -- slow hardware

Hi,

I have an Inspiron 8100 (past the warranty period) that has
inexplicably become "slow."

I've actually re-formated and re-installed the OS -- and noticed that
the
whole process takes 3 - 4 times the usual time. Even formatting the
drive
takes a very long time, so I've ruled out software issues. No
hardware
changes have been made to the laptop.

Any ideas? Weak CMS battery? Bad hard drive?

Thanks.
1 answer Last reply
More about inspiron 8100 slow hardware

    "John" <doe@doe.com> wrote:
    >whole process takes 3 - 4 times the usual time. Even formatting the
    >drive takes a very long time

    Maybe the drive is no longer in ATA-100 (or whatever) mode, but is
    stuck in compatability mode, which is something like ATA-16. You can
    check this in the drivers in WinXP, or using something like Aida

Dell Hardware Inspiron Computers