Windows XP Home Edition - All Safe boot mode hang

When Shutdown restart and pressing F8, I am getting the menu with
different restart options.
Main problem: All Safe boot options do Not work.
With Safe boot with DOS, Windows XP hang at Mup.sys.
Must disconnect power source to shutdown PC.
Here are the few last sequences of drivers on screen:

multi(0) disk(0) rdisk(0) partition(1)\windows\system32\sr.sys
multi(0) disk(0) rdisk(0) partition(1)\windows\system32\Fastfat.sys
multi(0) disk(0) rdisk(0) partition(1)\windows\system32\Ksecdd.sys
multi(0) disk(0) rdisk(0) partition(1)\windows\system32\NDIS.sys
multi(0) disk(0) rdisk(0) partition(1)\windows\system32\Mup.sys

I did some researchs and tried a few options but can not get it resolved.
I run Spybot and Adaware to check for spyware and adware.
I checked virus with Trend-Micro, Panda, and McAfee. Get all clean results for
virus, spyware and adware.
I did go in the Recovery console and ran Chkdsk c: /R successfully.
The hard drive is good and functionning.
Windows can boot into other modes including the Normal mode.
What is the real problem here? This is the frist time I try to boot in Safe
mode so I don't know the good check point for restore to solve this problem.
My main goal is to take a partition image from the Safe mode so
I can safeguard a copy before updating to Windows XP SP2.

The PC is a laptop, it does not have a floppy drive but do have a CDRW.
Your help is greatly appreciated.

I would create a boot log, and see what file is actually failing and use the 'expand file' button in msconfig.exe to replace it from
the setup cd (or service pack) files. (or run SFC)

The safe mode boot menu has the boot log option, and it creates ntbtlog.txt in the %windir%

To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type (or paste in): SFC /SCANNOW (see: Description of Windows XP and Windows Server
2003 System File Checker (Sfc.exe): http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310747 )
--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509