The shell stopped unexpectedly and %1 was restarted.

April 2, 2005 9:37:23 PM

I am running Windows XP SP2 (version 5.1.2600)

This is the message I receive from the event viewer most of the time I try
exploring my computer. Any open program disappears from my sesktop, my tray
icons disappear, then explorer.exe automatically restarts and programs come
back. It does not restart all of my programs running in the taskbar and
most of the time find myself restarting my computer for them to re-appear. I
have looked all over the place including microsoft and google but cannot
fins anything on it or anyone with this problem.

Anybody's help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
John

Here is the details from Windows Help & Support page

Details
Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 1002
Source: Winlogon
Version: 5.0
Component: Application Event Log
Symbolic Name: EVENT_SHELL_RESTARTED
Message: The shell stopped unexpectedly and %1 was restarted.

Explanation
The shell was stopped and then restarted. By default, the shell
is explorer.exe; however, you might have a customized shell.

User Action
No user action is required.

Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: EVENT_SHELL_RESTARTED
Message: The shell stopped unexpectedly and %1 was restarted.

Explanation
The shell was stopped and then restarted. By default, the shell
is explorer.exe; however, you might have a customized shell.

User Action
No user action is required.

Currently there are no Microsoft Knowledge Base articles
available for this specific error or event message. For information about
other support options you can use to find answers online, see
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx.
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 2:19:28 PM

Hi John,

Are you using something like WindowsBlinds or other shell customizer?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"John J" <jmkm0604@comcast.net> wrote in message
>I am running Windows XP SP2 (version 5.1.2600)
>
> This is the message I receive from the event viewer most of the time I try
> exploring my computer. Any open program disappears from my sesktop, my
> tray icons disappear, then explorer.exe automatically restarts and
> programs come back. It does not restart all of my programs running in the
> taskbar and most of the time find myself restarting my computer for them
> to re-appear. I have looked all over the place including microsoft and
> google but cannot fins anything on it or anyone with this problem.
>
> Anybody's help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
> John
>
> Here is the details from Windows Help & Support page
>
> Details
> Product: Windows Operating System
> ID: 1002
> Source: Winlogon
> Version: 5.0
> Component: Application Event Log
> Symbolic Name: EVENT_SHELL_RESTARTED
> Message: The shell stopped unexpectedly and %1 was restarted.
>
> Explanation
> The shell was stopped and then restarted. By default, the shell
> is explorer.exe; however, you might have a customized shell.
>

> User Action
> No user action is required.
>

> Version: 5.2
> Symbolic Name: EVENT_SHELL_RESTARTED
> Message: The shell stopped unexpectedly and %1 was restarted.
>
> Explanation
> The shell was stopped and then restarted. By default, the shell
> is explorer.exe; however, you might have a customized shell.
>

> User Action
> No user action is required.

> Currently there are no Microsoft Knowledge Base articles
> available for this specific error or event message. For information about
> other support options you can use to find answers online, see
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx.

Anonymous
April 4, 2005 12:38:26 AM

No, not that I know of. I do not have Windows Blinds.

> Hi John,
>
> Are you using something like WindowsBlinds or other shell customizer?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "John J" <jmkm0604@comcast.net> wrote in message
>>I am running Windows XP SP2 (version 5.1.2600)
>>
>> This is the message I receive from the event viewer most of the time I
>> try exploring my computer. Any open program disappears from my sesktop,
>> my tray icons disappear, then explorer.exe automatically restarts and
>> programs come back. It does not restart all of my programs running in the
>> taskbar and most of the time find myself restarting my computer for them
>> to re-appear. I have looked all over the place including microsoft and
>> google but cannot fins anything on it or anyone with this problem.
>>
>> Anybody's help would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks
>> John
>>
>> Here is the details from Windows Help & Support page
>>
>> Details
>> Product: Windows Operating System
>> ID: 1002
>> Source: Winlogon
>> Version: 5.0
>> Component: Application Event Log
>> Symbolic Name: EVENT_SHELL_RESTARTED
>> Message: The shell stopped unexpectedly and %1 was restarted.
>>
>> Explanation
>> The shell was stopped and then restarted. By default, the
>> shell is explorer.exe; however, you might have a customized shell.
>>

>> User Action
>> No user action is required.
>>

>> Version: 5.2
>> Symbolic Name: EVENT_SHELL_RESTARTED
>> Message: The shell stopped unexpectedly and %1 was restarted.
>>
>> Explanation
>> The shell was stopped and then restarted. By default, the
>> shell is explorer.exe; however, you might have a customized shell.
>>

>> User Action
>> No user action is required.

>> Currently there are no Microsoft Knowledge Base articles
>> available for this specific error or event message. For information about
>> other support options you can use to find answers online, see
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx.

Anonymous
April 4, 2005 10:39:31 AM

Hi John,

Did you ever? Also, have you run any spy/adware checks? This sort of odd
behavior is often related to a third party program that affects the explorer
shell (which is what is used to create the desktop environment). It may
still be installed, or it may be a remnant of the software that is giving
you issues.

If you'd like, download HiJack This from
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/downloads.html and create the startup
log, then either copy/paste the text into a response (don't attach the log)
or send it to me at the email address used here. If you choose the latter,
use the subject line "per req" or it won't get to me.

--

!