Your question
Solved

Looking for a new ultra portable laptop/notebook

Tags:
  • Laptops
  • Notebooks
Last response: in Laptop Tech Support
May 5, 2012 7:49:14 PM

I am looking for an exceptionally portable laptop in the $500 to $700 range. It will be used mostly for school work I do not expect to need it for intense gaming. I would prefer a 13-14" screen tops, a fast i3 or standard i5 processor, solid state if possible, and good battery life. Here is one for example that really pushes the price range, I wouldn't buy anything over this price:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Series-NP530U3B-A02US-13-...

What can the community recommend? For one, I have never purchased a samsung laptop before, perhaps there is a review on their quality in the computer sector? Thanks for any help, it's appreciated.

P.S. I've extensively examined Asus' laptop line-up but nothing has really'clicked' for me, and a friend says that 'Acer' is a garbage brand, however I do own a monitor from them and it has been mostly perfect.

P.S.S. Should I really just wait until the ivy bridge line of ultrabooks and laptops is released early this June?

More about : ultra portable laptop notebook

a c 572 D Laptop
May 5, 2012 10:12:10 PM

kfactor1119 said:
It will be used mostly for school work I do not expect to need it for intense gaming.
Exactly what are you saying? No gaming?
m
l
a c 572 D Laptop
May 5, 2012 10:13:17 PM

Help us out and answer a few questions in the form shown in the sticky topic:
Laptop Buyers FAQ
m
l
May 5, 2012 10:56:13 PM

1. Budget?-- $750, prefer to go below that into the $600 range

2. Size of the notebook?-- 13" screen is ideal

3. Screen resolution?-- None specifically, not anything really low but nothing that will require a substantial GPU.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?-- This needs to be extremely portable.

5. Battery life?-- At least 6 or 7 hours would be quite lovely.

6. Play games?-- Games will not be the priority of this laptop. I have a desktop for that (although maybe tribes ascend or minecraft, but again not priority).

7. Other tasks?-- Probably a lot of word processing, video watching and web browsing.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?-- 128GB solid state would be fresh, but if that adds to the cost too much then I will pass.

9. Specific sites.-- Amazon, newegg.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?-- Try my best to make it go for 4 years, smart enough to wipe it if it gets slow and stuff.

11. What kind of Optical drive?-- None, obsolete.

12. Brands that you prefer.-- I've been looking at many Asus branded laptops, as I have a netbook from them (it's falling apart though only a year old, but cheap) nothing has really clicked for a good price. I found a samsung I will post below, but I dunno about their current market reputation. I have been told to stay away from Acer, unknown if the validity of that statement is correct as I have a very functional monitor from them. I don't care for Dell or HP or whatever they are far too pricey without a cause (but so are many laptops I think)

13. What country do you live in?-- 'Merica

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.-- Here's the link to the samsung that I found, most I'd pay for one of these also:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Series-NP530U3B-A02US-13-...
m
l
a c 572 D Laptop
May 5, 2012 11:12:55 PM

An alternative to the Samsung:
ASUS U31SG-DS31 ~$639
Core i3-2350M 2.30 GHz CPU, 4GB RAM, 750GB 5400rpm HDD, 13.3" 1366x768 LCD w/ Geforce 610M graphics.
8 Cells (5600 mAh) Smart Lithium-Ion Battery Pack for extended battery life.
3.74 lbs, Asus 2-year warranty plus 1yr accidental damage protection.

SSD upgrade option available - starts about $137 for 120GB.
m
l
a c 467 D Laptop
May 5, 2012 11:20:05 PM

If you can wait, then wait.

The release of Ivy Bridge laptops will probably cause prices of current Sandy Bridge laptops to drop a little further to clear out inventory. But more importantly, it will give you more options to choose from which could be a good or bad thing 'cause it can add to confusion.
m
l

Best solution

a c 572 D Laptop
May 5, 2012 11:22:13 PM

Besides the dual core Ivy Bridge standard and ULV notebooks and ultrabooks showing up in June - we should know shortly after May 15th if the new Trinity APUs are going to be serious contender for you as well.

There's talk about Trinity finding a place in some thin and light models.
Laptops with AMD's 'Trinity' chips coming this quarter
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9226404/Laptops_...
The goal with Trinity is to reach "mainstream price points" and a wider range of customers, Read said. AMD has said it will push Trinity chips into ultrathin laptops starting at $500.
May 8, 2012 12:31:13 AM

Best answer selected by kfactor1119.
m
l
!