Brand new laptop blue screening in games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

volzear418

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
1 week ago I bought an Acer Aspire 7750G-6645, it has an AMD HD 7670M, Core i5-2450m, and a 17.3" display. It has switchable graphics which makes it impossible to update the drivers from the AMD site, but I have downloaded and uninstalled/re installed the drivers via the Acer site.

Nothing helps it. I know that the card isn't overheating, I have never seen it get over 55C. My FPS in games are good (30-60 at all times) but I still get random blue screens. I know that the problem is the AMD driver, and I have the most up to date version. I just don't know what to do. I'm about to call Acer support and see what they say, but I wanted to get input from you guys first.

Solution

found this site where this user has a similar Acer laptop as yours. They were having issues overclocking the gpu (not really relevant) but someone suggested trying the desktop series drivers for the...

volzear418

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010

I've read other reports of this specific AMD driver being buggy. In World of Warcraft when I activate DirectX 11 the screen gets jumpy, my FPS is still normal and great, but everything is kind of speeding up and slowing down slightly, and with every step my character takes.

volzear418

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010

So now I have a much bigger problem that I have no clue how to fix, but I hope you can help. I mistakenly disabled the Intel IGP in the BIOS while I was in there setting the AMD card to the default GPU (Switchable graphics). When I exited the BIOS the screen just went black and there is a loud beep each time I press a key. I've tried draining the excess power from the laptop, and re entering the BIOS etc but nothing works.

flank21

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007
remove the laptop battery and try to remove the cmos battery from the motherboard. then press then power button a few times to drain all remaining power from the laptop and hopefully resetting the bios to default settings.

volzear418

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010

=D Thank you very much. It worked perfectly. Plus I got to take apart a laptop. I only had experience with desktops before.

flank21

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007

you're welcome. im glad to hear that it worked.

if you still are getting random BSOD's even after updating your video card drives I would definitely run memtest overnight as others have suggested.

volzear418

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010

I'm figuring our memtest atm. Do I really need a CD to load it onto like I've read?

I still think the BSOD is caused by the driver. I've heard of other people with the Aspire 7750G getting them right out of the box. There was also an error when starting Minecraft that I think was caused by the driver.

I know that because I have switchable graphics I have to update from the Acer site, that's fine. But when I go on the AMD site they don't even acknowledge that they have a 7000M series of card, which I find odd.

flank21

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007

burning memtest to cd is the easiest way to IMO. You could also load it on a floppy disc, or make a bootable USB flash drive and load it from there.

Interesting thing I found about your video card, apparently the ati 7670 is a rebranded 6670. So you could try to download & install the latest 6670 driver from the ati/amd website and that might work lol.

edit:
if you feel like you are wasting a CD on memtest, you could download hirens bootcd (FREE) which includes memtest + a bunch of other diag, testing, repair utilities.

just checked on the memtest website and apparently they have a version that will automatically install on a USB flash drive. So if you have a spare flash drive you could try that.

0shadow

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011

memtest can be loaded from usb drive as long as your system can boot from usb..

download HP format tool
download copy of win98 startup disk
format usb and make it bootable with the startup disk
copy the memtest.exe file into the disk

when you boot with usb(above completed), you should be able to run memtest without burning no cds

volzear418

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010

I'm trying to download the newest 6670m driver, but in order to download something off of the AMD site it has to verify it for you (Because apparently it knows better than I do), and because I have switchable graphics on this laptop and it always has the HD 3000 graphics set as the default it doesn't recognize my AMD card.

volzear418

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010
This is extremely frustrating. There have been several driver updates over the past few months, just not for the 6600m series, or any of the 7000M series, and the drivers off of the Acer website are the buggy ones and haven't been updated in over 6 months.

Edit:I found this thread where a guy was having the exact same problem I'm having now. It is definitely the display driver and not the RAM. I'm going to go read through that and see what I can learn.
http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/bsod-while-playing-game-640015.html

flank21

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007

found this site where this user has a similar Acer laptop as yours. They were having issues overclocking the gpu (not really relevant) but someone suggested trying the desktop series drivers for the mobile gpu.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1220216/looking-to-overclock-amd-radeon-7670m-card-and-having-issues

go here to download latest win 7 x64 drivers and give one of them a shot (no verification needed to download lol)
http://downloads.guru3d.com/Videocards---ATI-Catalyst-Vista---Win-7_c31.html

Solution

volzear418

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010

There weren't any seals that were broken, but regardless it's not the laptop that's faulty. It's the AMD drivers.

volzear418

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2010

I just downloaded the 12.4 driver pack. I'll see how it goes.

nitefox

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012

Dude you're awesome, I tried unplugging the CMOS battery only and waited few mins and nothing happened so I came here and read this forum and came across your post and the final magic step I was missing was to unplug the Laptop battery and drain the power as you said and it Worked!!!

Big kudos to you! I was on the phone with Acer support and they couldn't solve it either so they inmediately asked me to send it for repair service etc blah blah. And I said no, there is got to be another way. And here I am.

Thank You so much

flank21

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2007

your welcome :D glad I could help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts