PCI graphics card question

ronco05

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2001
i have an old FIC PA02013 motherboard with a K6-2 500 processor.my kids use it for mostly school work.i want to upgrade the graphics card.the one thats in there is crap.i have to use a pci card because this board has voltage issues with the agp port.should i use ATI or Nvidia?i was looking at the radeon 7000 series and geforce 2 mx400 cards.any help would be great,thanks.

FIC PA-2013 motherboard
K6-2 500
192mb ram
Western Digital 10 gig hard drive
Win98SE

cleeve

Illustrious
Honestly, it won't make much difference. Radeon 7000s and Geforce2 mx's are similar in 3d prowess, and your bottleneck will most certainly be the K6-2 500 anyway.

Really, any PCI Radeon or Geforce will be fine. My only advice is to get the cheapest one you can find.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I know your board. It's an AMPERAGE issue with your board that prevents it from supplying enough WATTS to the AGP slot. I recommend an AGP GeForce2 MX or MX400, as these didn't draw as much power as, say, a TNT2 Ultra or GeForce DDR.

Also there's an easy fix for your board to support high wattage cards, you can solder a wire from the 3.3v line on the ATX connector to the 3.3v power line on the AGP connector, allong the back of the board.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ronco05

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2001
your right about the tnt cards.i borrowed a tnt2 16 mg card and installed fine.i installed the latest via drivers and nvidia drivers.when i started a game though(the sims)the video was all messed up.i really dont want to mod the board for the agp.will the geforce 2 agp card work without modding the motherboard?thanks for the help.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It should, the GeForce2 MX series were low power cards.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>