Sign in with
Your question

PCI graphics card question

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 22, 2003 6:37:33 PM

i have an old FIC PA02013 motherboard with a K6-2 500 processor.my kids use it for mostly school work.i want to upgrade the graphics card.the one thats in there is crap.i have to use a pci card because this board has voltage issues with the agp port.should i use ATI or Nvidia?i was looking at the radeon 7000 series and geforce 2 mx400 cards.any help would be great,thanks.

FIC PA-2013 motherboard
K6-2 500
192mb ram
Western Digital 10 gig hard drive
Win98SE
December 22, 2003 7:10:55 PM

Honestly, it won't make much difference. Radeon 7000s and Geforce2 mx's are similar in 3d prowess, and your bottleneck will most certainly be the K6-2 500 anyway.

Really, any PCI Radeon or Geforce will be fine. My only advice is to get the cheapest one you can find.

a b U Graphics card
December 22, 2003 11:49:24 PM

I know your board. It's an AMPERAGE issue with your board that prevents it from supplying enough WATTS to the AGP slot. I recommend an AGP GeForce2 MX or MX400, as these didn't draw as much power as, say, a TNT2 Ultra or GeForce DDR.

Also there's an easy fix for your board to support high wattage cards, you can solder a wire from the 3.3v line on the ATX connector to the 3.3v power line on the AGP connector, allong the back of the board.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Related resources
December 23, 2003 10:41:45 AM

your right about the tnt cards.i borrowed a tnt2 16 mg card and installed fine.i installed the latest via drivers and nvidia drivers.when i started a game though(the sims)the video was all messed up.i really dont want to mod the board for the agp.will the geforce 2 agp card work without modding the motherboard?thanks for the help.
a b U Graphics card
December 23, 2003 4:20:38 PM

It should, the GeForce2 MX series were low power cards.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
!