3rd Gen Intel Core i7 Laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkylarNoeL

Honorable
Mar 20, 2012
Well, Intel just came out with its 3rd gen Ivy Bridge processors. I was wondering how long it usually takes before laptops start hitting the market with new processors?

I was previously prepared to buy a Dell XPS 17, but now that the 3rd gens are out, I feel like it's not really future-proof to buy a 2nd gen i7 laptop just as the new generation came out.

My budget was ~$1000 and with it I could get an XPS 17 with

2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-2670QM processor (2.20 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.10 GHz)
1TB 5400 RPM SATA Hard Drive
NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 550M 1GB graphics with Optimus
8GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 Memory
17.3" HD+ (900p) LED Display with 2.0MP HD Webcam

Now from what I hear, the 3rd gen processors don't make that much of a difference in 3d gameplay (specifically I'd be playing Starcraft 2 with hopefully as high settings as possible without compromising fps during large battles, and possibly screen recording games sometimes as well), but they do for regular processing. Now usually my processing doesn't really go beyond Word, Powerpoints, etc., the stuff that you'd need to do once you're in university, so it wouldn't make too much of a difference on that front.

So theoretically my current XPS 17 would still meet my standards.

But if I could get almost the same thing but with the 3rd gen i7, that would make me very happy.

How long would I have to wait before a similar laptop (or even a newer reincarnation of the XPS 17) comes out?

Thanks!

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
If I was you I would get the best 2nd gen i7 deal for your $1000 budget - ivy was never meany to be a significant leap forward from sandy (check out tom's), and of course, you'll be paying a 'premium' for the new 'ivy' brand.
Have you checked out any alternative to Dell? - Dell are known to be a bit pricier than similar competitors (in general).

p.s. I've a clevo p170hm3 laptop and find playing starcraft 2 in 3d almost impossible!! - due to parallax/depth of field/etc I quickly gave up trying to quickly select & accurately move individual units. Then again, maybe I gave up too quickly. lol. It does look damn good in 3d, though; you might have better luck than me.

Status
Not open for further replies.