8400 can't burn DVD - second posting

After using cd21.exe, downloaded from dell.com, to flash the Philips
DVD burner's firmware I successfull burned one DVD to about half
capacity. Burn speed went from 4x before flash to 15x afterward. Then
three failures with the same Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 message:

Errors occurred during the recording:
Disc 1 of 10
"D: PHILIPS DVD+-rw DVD87631 ('Session Fixation Error while writing
lead in - Medium error.' [03/72/01])"

Disc progress 99%. Next two attempts zero percent, same error report.
System restarted before each attempt. Using Verbatim DVD+R discs.

How do I get this to work? The incessant failures are costing me a lot
of time.

--David
6 answers Last reply
More about 8400 burn posting

    Why don't you try it with Nero?

    <David Ellis> schreef in bericht
    > After using cd21.exe, downloaded from dell.com, to flash the Philips
    > DVD burner's firmware I successfull burned one DVD to about half
    > capacity. Burn speed went from 4x before flash to 15x afterward. Then
    > three failures with the same Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 message:
    >
    > Errors occurred during the recording:
    > Disc 1 of 10
    > "D: PHILIPS DVD+-rw DVD87631 ('Session Fixation Error while writing
    > lead in - Medium error.' [03/72/01])"
    >
    > Disc progress 99%. Next two attempts zero percent, same error report.
    > System restarted before each attempt. Using Verbatim DVD+R discs.
    >
    > How do I get this to work? The incessant failures are costing me a lot
    > of time.
    >
    > --David

    I went through the same process. In desperation I finally got Dell to
    replace the burner. So far it will burn DVD +R but still not -R. So
    far I can live with that.

    Why Dell still insists on using the Phillips recorders with all the
    problems they have had and replacing them is beyond me.

    >After using cd21.exe, downloaded from dell.com, to flash the Philips
    >DVD burner's firmware I successfull burned one DVD to about half
    >capacity. Burn speed went from 4x before flash to 15x afterward. Then
    >three failures with the same Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 message:
    >
    >Errors occurred during the recording:
    >Disc 1 of 10
    >"D: PHILIPS DVD+-rw DVD87631 ('Session Fixation Error while writing
    >lead in - Medium error.' [03/72/01])"
    >
    >Disc progress 99%. Next two attempts zero percent, same error report.
    >System restarted before each attempt. Using Verbatim DVD+R discs.
    >
    >How do I get this to work? The incessant failures are costing me a lot
    >of time.
    >
    >--David

    I used Nero, NTI and most everything I could think of nothing worked.
    Sounds to me he has the same problem I did. A faulty burner.

    >Why don't you try it with Nero?
    >

    ><David Ellis> schreef in bericht
    >> After using cd21.exe, downloaded from dell.com, to flash the Philips
    >> DVD burner's firmware I successfull burned one DVD to about half
    >> capacity. Burn speed went from 4x before flash to 15x afterward. Then
    >> three failures with the same Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 message:
    >>
    >> Errors occurred during the recording:
    >> Disc 1 of 10
    >> "D: PHILIPS DVD+-rw DVD87631 ('Session Fixation Error while writing
    >> lead in - Medium error.' [03/72/01])"
    >>
    >> Disc progress 99%. Next two attempts zero percent, same error report.
    >> System restarted before each attempt. Using Verbatim DVD+R discs.
    >>
    >> How do I get this to work? The incessant failures are costing me a lot
    >> of time.
    >>
    >> --David

    It isn't a Philips drive. It is a re-badged BenQ 1620 drive. The best drive
    (after Plextor) on the market today. Try to flash it with a Benq firmware. I
    did too, and get perfect results.

    I will post link.

    Harrie

    http://dvdpro.club.st/firmware/BENQ_FW.htm

    > Harrie
    >

    > "tellme" <whois@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht
    >>I went through the same process. In desperation I finally got Dell to
    >> replace the burner. So far it will burn DVD +R but still not -R. So
    >> far I can live with that.
    >>
    >> Why Dell still insists on using the Phillips recorders with all the
    >> problems they have had and replacing them is beyond me.

    >>>After using cd21.exe, downloaded from dell.com, to flash the Philips
    >>>DVD burner's firmware I successfull burned one DVD to about half
    >>>capacity. Burn speed went from 4x before flash to 15x afterward. Then
    >>>three failures with the same Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 message:
    >>>
    >>>Errors occurred during the recording:
    >>>Disc 1 of 10
    >>>"D: PHILIPS DVD+-rw DVD87631 ('Session Fixation Error while writing
    >>>lead in - Medium error.' [03/72/01])"
    >>>
    >>>Disc progress 99%. Next two attempts zero percent, same error report.
    >>>System restarted before each attempt. Using Verbatim DVD+R discs.
    >>>
    >>>How do I get this to work? The incessant failures are costing me a lot
    >>>of time.
    >>>
    >>>--David

    Dell has commited to replace the Philips burner in my 8400.
    --David

    >"Johoo" <johoo123@xs4all.nl> schreef in bericht
    >> It isn't a Philips drive. It is a re-badged BenQ 1620 drive. The best
    >> drive (after Plextor) on the market today. Try to flash it with a Benq
    >> firmware. I did too, and get perfect results.
    >>
    >> I will post link.
    >
    >http://dvdpro.club.st/firmware/BENQ_FW.htm
    >

    >> Harrie
    >>

    >> "tellme" <whois@yahoo.com> schreef in bericht
    >>>I went through the same process. In desperation I finally got Dell to
    >>> replace the burner. So far it will burn DVD +R but still not -R. So
    >>> far I can live with that.
    >>>
    >>> Why Dell still insists on using the Phillips recorders with all the
    >>> problems they have had and replacing them is beyond me.

Dell DVD Burner Computers