I can't Reset a Homepage.

April 3, 2005 7:35:22 AM

This is a follow up thread to one that I started yesterday. I apologise if
that offends anyone but I didn't want this thread to be buried in the
archives.

I cannot change the home page of another pc. I'm trying to use Google as the
home page but the Control Panel won't change it, that is I type Google's
address, apply it & exit the Internet Options applet, open it again & the
address is still http://rl.webtracer.cc/-/?bayzm

I've tried this list with all current updates::
Ad-Aware
Spybot.
PC-Cillin Housecall.
VET installed.
HijackThis. Deleted 2 entried but they're back.
Spyzooka
& Registry Crawler to delete all Registry references.

All in normal & safe mode.
Can anyone suggest anything else to try before I re-install?

More about : reset homepage

Anonymous
April 3, 2005 12:56:47 PM

Hi Zilva,

Follow the malware removal advice listed here:
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php. The quickfix methodology helps in
eliminating most of the malware, but some require user intervention and
examination of the HijackThis log. If that is the case follow step 8. "IF
THERE IS STILL A PROBLEM"

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"Zilva Zanga" <monsters@inc.invalid> wrote in message
> This is a follow up thread to one that I started yesterday. I apologise if
> that offends anyone but I didn't want this thread to be buried in the
> archives.
>
> I cannot change the home page of another pc. I'm trying to use Google as
> the home page but the Control Panel won't change it, that is I type
> Google's address, apply it & exit the Internet Options applet, open it
> again & the address is still http://rl.webtracer.cc/-/?bayzm
>
> I've tried this list with all current updates::
> Ad-Aware
> Spybot.
> PC-Cillin Housecall.
> VET installed.
> HijackThis. Deleted 2 entried but they're back.
> Spyzooka
> & Registry Crawler to delete all Registry references.
>
> All in normal & safe mode.
> Can anyone suggest anything else to try before I re-install?

Anonymous
April 3, 2005 12:56:48 PM

> Hi Zilva,
>
> Follow the malware removal advice listed here:
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php. The quickfix methodology helps in
> eliminating most of the malware, but some require user intervention and
> examination of the HijackThis log. If that is the case follow step 8. "IF
> THERE IS STILL A PROBLEM"
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "Zilva Zanga" <monsters@inc.invalid> wrote in message
>> This is a follow up thread to one that I started yesterday. I apologise
>> if that offends anyone but I didn't want this thread to be buried in the
>> archives.
>>
>> I cannot change the home page of another pc. I'm trying to use Google as
>> the home page but the Control Panel won't change it, that is I type
>> Google's address, apply it & exit the Internet Options applet, open it
>> again & the address is still http://rl.webtracer.cc/-/?bayzm
>>
>> I've tried this list with all current updates::
>> Ad-Aware
>> Spybot.
>> PC-Cillin Housecall.
>> VET installed.
>> HijackThis. Deleted 2 entried but they're back.
>> Spyzooka
>> & Registry Crawler to delete all Registry references.
>>
>> All in normal & safe mode.
>> Can anyone suggest anything else to try before I re-install?

Thanks for the link Ramesh but the offending files/drivers/whatever appear
to be protected by something. A search of the registry & deletion of
everything containing 'bayzm', a string in 2 offending addresses, is
ineffective. A conformation scan immediately following deleting those
references in safe mode show that nothing was deleted.
April 3, 2005 12:56:49 PM

Have you tried resetting your Home Page to Blank? Does it accept that?
If it does then try resetting it to what you want?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>> Hi Zilva,
>>
>> Follow the malware removal advice listed here:
>> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php. The quickfix methodology helps in
>> eliminating most of the malware, but some require user intervention
>> and examination of the HijackThis log. If that is the case follow
>> step 8. "IF THERE IS STILL A PROBLEM"
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "Zilva Zanga" <monsters@inc.invalid> wrote in message
>>> This is a follow up thread to one that I started yesterday. I
>>> apologise if that offends anyone but I didn't want this thread to be
>>> buried in the archives.
>>>
>>> I cannot change the home page of another pc. I'm trying to use
>>> Google as the home page but the Control Panel won't change it, that
>>> is I type Google's address, apply it & exit the Internet Options
>>> applet, open it again & the address is still
>>> http://rl.webtracer.cc/-/?bayzm
>>>
>>> I've tried this list with all current updates::
>>> Ad-Aware
>>> Spybot.
>>> PC-Cillin Housecall.
>>> VET installed.
>>> HijackThis. Deleted 2 entried but they're back.
>>> Spyzooka
>>> & Registry Crawler to delete all Registry references.
>>>
>>> All in normal & safe mode.
>>> Can anyone suggest anything else to try before I re-install?
>>>

> Thanks for the link Ramesh but the offending files/drivers/whatever
> appear to be protected by something. A search of the registry &
> deletion of everything containing 'bayzm', a string in 2 offending
> addresses, is ineffective. A conformation scan immediately following
> deleting those references in safe mode show that nothing was deleted.

Anonymous
April 3, 2005 2:33:40 PM

"Gerry Cornell" <gcjc@tenretnitb.com> wrote in message
news:o KWv38BOFHA.3380@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Have you tried resetting your Home Page to Blank? Does it accept that? If
> it does then try resetting it to what you want?
>

> --
>

> Hope this helps.
>
> Gerry
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> FCA
>
> Using invalid email address
>
> Stourport, Worcs, England
> Enquire, plan and execute.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Please tell the newsgroup how any
> suggested solution worked for you.
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
> "Zilva Zanga" <monsters@inc.invalid> wrote in message
>> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" <ramesh@online.mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Hi Zilva,
>>>
>>> Follow the malware removal advice listed here:
>>> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php. The quickfix methodology helps in
>>> eliminating most of the malware, but some require user intervention and
>>> examination of the HijackThis log. If that is the case follow step 8.
>>> "IF THERE IS STILL A PROBLEM"
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>>> Windows XP Shell/User
>>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>>

>>> "Zilva Zanga" <monsters@inc.invalid> wrote in message

>> Thanks for the link Ramesh but the offending files/drivers/whatever
>> appear to be protected by something. A search of the registry & deletion
>> of everything containing 'bayzm', a string in 2 offending addresses, is
>> ineffective. A conformation scan immediately following deleting those
>> references in safe mode show that nothing was deleted.

Thanks, but the gurus at the HijackThis site helped me out.
!