CD and Floppy quit working except in Safe Mode

April 3, 2005 1:55:01 AM

The CD, DVD and floppy drives quit working all at the same time. They cannot
be opened in Windows Explorer or My Computer. After starting in safe mode all
of the drives function properly. When rebooted normal, the DVD drive started
working but the other two still do not work. The CD drive acts like it is
opening, but no files are visible. The floppy drive produces an error saying
it is an "improper procedure"

Any ideas?
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 3:11:32 PM

Restore CD/DVD Drives to Windows Explorer: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.h...

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509
"Cliff H" <CliffH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E1CB6C7C-E7C1-491F-95E9-34BF10FF6352@microsoft.com...
> The CD, DVD and floppy drives quit working all at the same time. They cannot
> be opened in Windows Explorer or My Computer. After starting in safe mode all
> of the drives function properly. When rebooted normal, the DVD drive started
> working but the other two still do not work. The CD drive acts like it is
> opening, but no files are visible. The floppy drive produces an error saying
> it is an "improper procedure"
>
> Any ideas?
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 11:17:02 PM

Thanks Mark.

However that did not fix the problem this time. I will keep it around for
use in the future.

The CDRW drive that was not working was a Yamaha 2200 USB. I uninstalled the
drivers and still nothing. After trying your suggestion with no success, I
noticed that the Nero software was not recognizing the drive. I went to their
site and downloaded an update to the INCD program and the Nero 5.5 program.
After installing these and rebooting, the drive started working again. Funny
thing is that the floppy started working again also. So I am not sure if the
updates fixed the problem or they fixed themselves.

!