AMD fan on a Radeon 9800pro?

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
I just installed my aero 7+ on my cpu and now i have a spare hsf and i want to know if i can stick it to my radeon 9800pro. if yes then would it cool it well.

My own beast: Athlon 2700xp+ (oc: 3200xp+ with 200fsb) , Radeon 9800pro (oc: 410/370) , 512mb ddr400. SO MUCH faster than my last computer (pIII 550......)

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I definitely suggest you don't try it. The amd HSF is pretty heavy and would probably snap your video card if you tried mounting it. You also wouldn't have many PCI slots free.

If you mean you want to just use the fan, then yeah, that's possible if you can rig up a mounting system, but the normal ati cooler does a decent job already.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
i planned to attach the hsf with metal cable and i dont use any pci slot. i want to change it because my ati fan (powercolor...) is making strange noise and is about to break (i know it the first one did the same thing).

My own beast: Athlon 2700xp+ (oc: 3200xp+ with 200fsb) , Radeon 9800pro (oc: 410/370) , 512mb ddr400. SO MUCH faster than my last computer (pIII 550......)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by coylter on 12/25/03 04:04 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
It's definitely possible, but I wouldn't do it. You're taking a great risk of snapping your video card in half if you ever move your computer. Some of the heavier units have managed to rip the cpu socket right from the motherboard during uncareful moving, so imagine what it could do to a video card.

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
These are far too large to be practical. If you want a large cooler with a large fan, consider a PIII 1U Rackmount cooler.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Kronos

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2001
Maybe I got a 9800PRO lemon...but the standard ATI cooler just didnt cut it for me...even with the case-side off, it overheated after 10 to 15 minutes of 3d gaming. For normal web surfing and other tasks it would run all night with no problems. Regardless, I RMA`d it back to NewEgg for a replacement. Ordered a SVC ArcticCooler for the replacement video card-"footwarmer". Will keep ya all posted on the results.

I want to die like my Grandfather...in my sleep...not screaming in terror like his passengers.