Gaming laptop

I have two friends who are offering me their old gaming laptops and i dont know which one to buy.

Option 1: acer 3820tg (1 year old)

13.3" 1366x768 led screen
Intel i3 380m @ 2.4ghz
4gb ram
500gb hdd
Ati hd 5650 1gb
Windows 7

Option 2: asus g50vt (almost 3 years old)

15.4" 1680x1050 lcd screen
Core 2 duo t9400 @ 2.53 ghz
2x 320gb hdd
4gb ram
Nvidia 9800m gs 512mb

So which one is better? Also should it be safe to buy the asus because its 3 years old or is it better to get the newer acer laptop?

Thanks in advance!
13 answers Last reply
More about gaming laptop
  1. Hello,

The first option is better. However I wouldn't take either - and would instead save up for your own.

How much are they offering each laptop?

Edit: Gaming laptops tend to have issues with heat and possibly parts failing. I used to use one - I actually still have it, but I don't use it anymore (Asus G73) due to heat problems with it (and some other issues as well). Thats why I recommend buying a new one - that way you get a warranty. If something breaks after you buy one of those laptops - your footing the bill for the problem and the costs could possibly add up to more than what they are worth.
  2. Chainzsaw said:
    Hello,

The first option is better. However I wouldn't take either - and would instead save up for your own.

How much are they offering each laptop?

Edit: Gaming laptops tend to have issues with heat and possibly parts failing. I used to use one - I actually still have it, but I don't use it anymore (Asus G73) due to heat problems with it (and some other issues as well). Thats why I recommend buying a new one - that way you get a warranty. If something breaks after you buy one of those laptops - your footing the bill for the problem and the costs could possibly add up to more than what they are worth.

The acer is $400 and the asus is $325
  3. Also the asus has a blue ray drive
  4. vibrantxxninjas said:
    Also the asus has a blue ray drive

I don't trust blu ray drives in laptops anymore. Mine died 3 times in a row for my gaming laptop. I took care of it, but only after watching 1-2 blu ray movies, it killed my drives somehow even after RMA'ing it (even bought Power DVD to play em). After the 3rd time...I just didn't care. So now I own a laptop with a broken blu ray drive that doesn't even read dvd's or cds, which doesn't bother me too much since it's retired now and only used as a back up.
  5. Chainzsaw said:
    I don't trust blu ray drives in laptops anymore. Mine died 3 times in a row for my gaming laptop. I took care of it, but only after watching 1-2 blu ray movies, it killed my drives somehow even after RMA'ing it (even bought Power DVD to play em). After the 3rd time...I just didn't care. So now I own a laptop with a broken blu ray drive that doesn't even read dvd's or cds, which doesn't bother me too much since it's retired now and only used as a back up.

So the acer would be the better option then since its also a lot newer?

How does the hd 5650 compare to the 9800m gs?
  6. @Chainzsaw - I have a G73 too, but have had no issues with it. I deploy a lot, and have never had an issue with heat, or the blue ray drive.

@Vibrantxxninjas - I dont recommend getting either laptop. Put your money towards a newer one (like Chainzsaw said, get that warranty).
  7. How does the a6 3400m eith the 6520g gpu hold out in gaming? Because there is a laptop on sale right now for $400 at futureshop
  8. gianoli516 said:
    @Chainzsaw - I have a G73 too, but have had no issues with it. I deploy a lot, and have never had an issue with heat, or the blue ray drive.

@Vibrantxxninjas - I dont recommend getting either laptop. Put your money towards a newer one (like Chainzsaw said, get that warranty).

Luck you with the blu ray drive. I don't know why it crapped out on me. IMO I think it was because I got it when it was first coming out...so maybe I got a faulty batch or something. Maybe it was a combination of Power DVD and one of the newer Blu rays at the time. I just don't know. I asked Asus if they could tell me what the problem would be after I sent it back the 2nd time, they never got back to me.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-9800M-GS.12932.0.html

The 9800M GS is an old card. I would get the 5650 over the 9800M due to the lower power requirements as well as decent graphics performance. However I still stand by not getting either.
  9. Would the 6520g work for medium settings in gaming? Also notebookcheck.net i have always found to be unreliable imo as their benchmarks never seem to match videos of benchmarks on youtube
  10. According to this:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4616/llano-in-the-wild-toshibas-satellite-l775ds7206/4

It might do low to medium depending on resolution. That is an A6 laptop. However for better game play you might want to bump up to an A8 laptop.
  11. You wont find a "gaming" laptop at or anywhere near your budget. Anything with integrated graphics is gonna blow for gaming period. Sure low MAYBE medium settings but not on anything worth a damn. I build custom HTPCs around the E-350 chipset. And without a low profile GPU they arent very good at anything even blu ray playback. And the E-350 would be comparable to some of the laptops you are lookin at.
  12. vrumor said:
    You wont find a "gaming" laptop at or anywhere near your budget. Anything with integrated graphics is gonna blow for gaming period. Sure low MAYBE medium settings but not on anything worth a damn. I build custom HTPCs around the E-350 chipset. And without a low profile GPU they arent very good at anything even blu ray playback. And the E-350 would be comparable to some of the laptops you are lookin at.

My last laptop was an e-350 and trust me the a6 is a huge improvement over the e-350
  13. Alright, so my final dilema...
    What performs better, the 6520g or the hd 5650 when it comes to gaming?
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Gaming