Number of pages in Compiled HTML Help file?

Hello

How can I calculate number of pages in a compiled html file, if the file is
fairly large for print outs.

Thanks in advance.

Trying2Learn
5 answers Last reply
More about number pages compiled html file

    Open the html file with Internet Explorer.
    File | Print Preview
    Look at the number of pages >> Page x of xx

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:82102550-2E37-4543-BD93-90AF8F8F176F@microsoft.com,
    Trying2Learn <Trying2Learn@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > Hello
    >
    > How can I calculate number of pages in a compiled html file, if the
    > file is fairly large for print outs.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Trying2Learn

    Hello

    Well I'm unable to open this file in IE. It is a Compiled HTML Help file
    (.chm), so its not purely .html file. Can anybody help?

    Thanks in advance.

    Trying2Learn

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Open the html file with Internet Explorer.
    > File | Print Preview
    > Look at the number of pages >> Page x of xx
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >
    > In news:82102550-2E37-4543-BD93-90AF8F8F176F@microsoft.com,
    > Trying2Learn <Trying2Learn@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > > Hello
    > >
    > > How can I calculate number of pages in a compiled html file, if the
    > > file is fairly large for print outs.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > Trying2Learn

    Trying2Learn,

    > How can I calculate number of pages in a compiled html file, if the file is
    > fairly large for print outs.

    As you've no doubt discovered, most HTML Help files aren't really
    designed with printing in mind. A particular issue is that it is only
    possible to print the entire contents of a help file in one go if: 1)
    every topic in the help file has an entry in the table of contents,
    and 2) the table of contents has a single, top-level "book" heading to
    which all the other headings and pages are subsidiary.

    However, you could give this procedure a try:

    1) Right-click a book heading in the Contents pane, and then select
    Print from the context menu.

    2) Choose the option to print the selected heading and all subtopics,
    and then click OK.

    3) When the Print dialog box appears, switch to Windows Explorer and
    make sure that the option to show hidden files and folders is selected
    (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Don't click Print or Cancel in
    the Print dialog box just yet, as this will cause Windows to delete
    the file mentioned in step 5 below.

    4) Navigate to your Temp directory (\Documents and
    Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Temp).

    5) Find the file whose name has the pattern "~hh*.htm" (for example,
    "~hh5F02.htm"). This is a concatenation of all the topics that you
    have chosen to print. The exact name of the file changes with each
    print job that you do.

    6) Open the file in Internet Explorer and use File > Print Preview to
    determine the page count.

    7) Repeat steps 1) to 6) for the other heading/subtopics that you want
    to print.

    --
    Pete (Microsoft Help MVP)

    You got me there.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:481CB60E-367D-4E61-A9A9-BAD9346091F6@microsoft.com,

    Trying2Learn wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > How can I calculate number of pages in a compiled html file, if the
    file is
    > fairly large for print outs.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Trying2Learn