restoring favorites

Somehow my personalized favorites listings got removed. my folder with all
the sub folders and files still exists in my Earthlink TotalAccess. I copies
all the folders and files from there to the c:\documents and settings\windows
login name\favorites. All of them are there but they do not appear when I
click on the favorites icon/button....only the default MS favorites show up.
What is the problem? How can it be fixed?
--
S. Groeschel

Choose Favorites from the Menu Bar instead of the Icon. See what happens.

"S. Groeschel" <SGroeschel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Somehow my personalized favorites listings got removed. my folder with
> all
> the sub folders and files still exists in my Earthlink TotalAccess. I
> copies
> all the folders and files from there to the c:\documents and
> settings\windows
> login name\favorites. All of them are there but they do not appear when I
> click on the favorites icon/button....only the default MS favorites show
> up.
> What is the problem? How can it be fixed?
> --
> S. Groeschel

Groeschel,

The User Shell Folders Favorites value is probably pointing to Earthlink's
sub-folder. Open Regedit.exe and navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders

In the right-pane, double-click "Favorites" and set it's value to the
following:

%USERPROFILE%\Favorites

The value-type in this case, SHOULD be REG_EXPAND_SZ and not REG_SZ.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

"S. Groeschel" <SGroeschel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Somehow my personalized favorites listings got removed. my folder with
> all
> the sub folders and files still exists in my Earthlink TotalAccess. I
> copies
> all the folders and files from there to the c:\documents and
> settings\windows
> login name\favorites. All of them are there but they do not appear when I
> click on the favorites icon/button....only the default MS favorites show
> up.
> What is the problem? How can it be fixed?
> --
> S. Groeschel

Ramesh,

Thank you for your assistance.

I did find that the entry in the registry was set incorrectly......it was
user specific so I changed it to: %USERPROFILE%\Favorites

but I also noticed that the value tyupe was incorrect also....it is
currently set to REG_SZ and not REG_EXPAND_SZ. How do I change it?

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Groeschel,
>
> The User Shell Folders Favorites value is probably pointing to Earthlink's
> sub-folder. Open Regedit.exe and navigate to:
>
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
> Shell Folders
>
> In the right-pane, double-click "Favorites" and set it's value to the
> following:
>
> %USERPROFILE%\Favorites
>
> The value-type in this case, SHOULD be REG_EXPAND_SZ and not REG_SZ.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "S. Groeschel" <SGroeschel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Somehow my personalized favorites listings got removed. my folder with
> > all
> > the sub folders and files still exists in my Earthlink TotalAccess. I
> > copies
> > all the folders and files from there to the c:\documents and
> > settings\windows
> > login name\favorites. All of them are there but they do not appear when I
> > click on the favorites icon/button....only the default MS favorites show
> > up.
> > What is the problem? How can it be fixed?
> > --
> > S. Groeschel

Groeschel,

You need to delete the existing REG_SZ "Favorites" value and re-create
another value of type REG_EXPAND_SZ. Then assign the data to
"%userprofile%\favorites"

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> Ramesh,
>
> Thank you for your assistance.
>
> I did find that the entry in the registry was set incorrectly......it was
> user specific so I changed it to: %USERPROFILE%\Favorites
>
> but I also noticed that the value tyupe was incorrect also....it is
> currently set to REG_SZ and not REG_EXPAND_SZ. How do I change it?
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Groeschel,
>>
>> The User Shell Folders Favorites value is probably pointing to
>> Earthlink's
>> sub-folder. Open Regedit.exe and navigate to:
>>
>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
>> Shell Folders
>>
>> In the right-pane, double-click "Favorites" and set it's value to the
>> following:
>>
>> %USERPROFILE%\Favorites
>>
>> The value-type in this case, SHOULD be REG_EXPAND_SZ and not REG_SZ.
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "S. Groeschel" <SGroeschel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Somehow my personalized favorites listings got removed. my folder with
>> > all
>> > the sub folders and files still exists in my Earthlink TotalAccess. I
>> > copies
>> > all the folders and files from there to the c:\documents and
>> > settings\windows
>> > login name\favorites. All of them are there but they do not appear
>> > when I
>> > click on the favorites icon/button....only the default MS favorites
>> > show
>> > up.
>> > What is the problem? How can it be fixed?
>> > --
>> > S. Groeschel

Ramesh,

Do I delete the line entry via regedit and re-creat the new entry in regedit
too? I don't want to screw up my registry so thought I had better get a
clarification before hand!

Sandra

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Groeschel,
>
> You need to delete the existing REG_SZ "Favorites" value and re-create
> another value of type REG_EXPAND_SZ. Then assign the data to
> "%userprofile%\favorites"
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "S. Groeschel" <SGroeschel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ramesh,
> >
> > Thank you for your assistance.
> >
> > I did find that the entry in the registry was set incorrectly......it was
> > user specific so I changed it to: %USERPROFILE%\Favorites
> >
> > but I also noticed that the value tyupe was incorrect also....it is
> > currently set to REG_SZ and not REG_EXPAND_SZ. How do I change it?
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Groeschel,
> >>
> >> The User Shell Folders Favorites value is probably pointing to
> >> Earthlink's
> >> sub-folder. Open Regedit.exe and navigate to:
> >>
> >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
> >> Shell Folders
> >>
> >> In the right-pane, double-click "Favorites" and set it's value to the
> >> following:
> >>
> >> %USERPROFILE%\Favorites
> >>
> >> The value-type in this case, SHOULD be REG_EXPAND_SZ and not REG_SZ.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP Shell/User
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "S. Groeschel" <SGroeschel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Sandra,

Select the entry (or value) named "Favorites", and delete it. Then, create a
new REG_EXPAND_SZ value named "Favorites". If you wish to automate this,
download my utility FolderRedirector.zip from here:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/folderredirector.htm

Unzip and run it. Select the "Favorites" entry in the list box, and then
click the "Restore default" button once. Close the utility.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

> Ramesh,
>
> Do I delete the line entry via regedit and re-creat the new entry in
> regedit
> too? I don't want to screw up my registry so thought I had better get a
> clarification before hand!
>
> Sandra
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> Groeschel,
>>
>> You need to delete the existing REG_SZ "Favorites" value and re-create
>> another value of type REG_EXPAND_SZ. Then assign the data to
>> "%userprofile%\favorites"
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
>> Windows XP Shell/User
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>

>> "S. Groeschel" <SGroeschel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Ramesh,
>> >
>> > Thank you for your assistance.
>> >
>> > I did find that the entry in the registry was set incorrectly......it
>> > was
>> > user specific so I changed it to: %USERPROFILE%\Favorites
>> >
>> > but I also noticed that the value tyupe was incorrect also....it is
>> > currently set to REG_SZ and not REG_EXPAND_SZ. How do I change it?

Ramesh,

I tried to delete the entry and enter a new one with no success. Actually,
I am afraid that I may have messed up the registry because now nothing shows
up in the favorites colum (left) when I click on the favorites star.

Should there be a default entry under the user shell folders:
default REG_SZ (Value not set)
? This is the first line entry. I do not remember seeing this entry
beforehand.

The favorites value remains set to:
%USERPROFILES%\Favorites
but I could not change the value-type. I tried to delete the entry line but
could not and was unsure of how to add a line.....maybe regedit, edit,
new?????

Nothing else has been changed so am not sure why the favorites listing is no
longer showing up as it was before I tried editing the registry to change the
value-type

S. Groeschel

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> Sandra,
>
> Select the entry (or value) named "Favorites", and delete it. Then, create a
> new REG_EXPAND_SZ value named "Favorites". If you wish to automate this,
> download my utility FolderRedirector.zip from here:
>
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/folderredirector.htm
>
> Unzip and run it. Select the "Favorites" entry in the list box, and then
> click the "Restore default" button once. Close the utility.
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>

> "S. Groeschel" <SGroeschel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Ramesh,
> >
> > Do I delete the line entry via regedit and re-creat the new entry in
> > regedit
> > too? I don't want to screw up my registry so thought I had better get a
> > clarification before hand!
> >
> > Sandra
> >
> > "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
> >
> >> Groeschel,
> >>
> >> You need to delete the existing REG_SZ "Favorites" value and re-create
> >> another value of type REG_EXPAND_SZ. Then assign the data to
> >> "%userprofile%\favorites"
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> >> Windows XP Shell/User
> >> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> >>

> >> "S. Groeschel" <SGroeschel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Sandra,

>> Should there be a default entry under the user shell folders

Yes! there will be a (default) entry reading "Value not set". Ignore that
part.

>> could not and was unsure of how to add a line

I should have adviced you create a System Restore point in my previous
posts. As a precaution set a System Restore point and then open Regedit.exe
again.

To create a new value:

Once you're here:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders

Right-click "User Shell Folders" key, and click "New"
Choose "Expandable String value"
New value will be created and seen in the right-pane.
Select the newly created value, and rename it as "Favorites"
Double-click the newly created value, and assign the data to the following
text:

%USERPROFILE%\Favorites

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP