dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

My sister started up her PC and the desk top is blank. The background
picture is there. The mouse cursor is there. No icons, no start menu,
nothing to click. Right clicking on desk top gets an hour glass but
no action and no menu to pick from.
It is an older Dell Celeron IV about 1.8 gig processor and XP home
edition.

Any suggestions?

Hi Dennis,

She (probably) has a corrupt profile. There is generally no recovering it.
What she needs to do is logon as administrator and create a new profile for
herself, then copy the old user data into it. To access the default
administrator account:

In WinXP Pro, hit ctrl+alt+delete twice at the logon screen and type it in.

In WinXP Home, you must restart and enter Safe mode by hitting F8 at
startup. The administrator logon will be one of the options.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Dennis" <den942@bright.net> wrote in message
> My sister started up her PC and the desk top is blank. The background
> picture is there. The mouse cursor is there. No icons, no start menu,
> nothing to click. Right clicking on desk top gets an hour glass but
> no action and no menu to pick from.
> It is an older Dell Celeron IV about 1.8 gig processor and XP home
> edition.
>
> Any suggestions?

dennis

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2003

In safe mode the screen is black with "safe mode" in the four corners.
In regular mode, no desk top icons or start menu but sound works as
Windows starts and mouse and cursor work, just nothing to click. Tried
restoring to an earlier date but that did nothing. In regular mode
Alt. Ctrl. Del. will allow tasks to be started. I added users and
got nothing. Deleted the original user and nothing change on reboot.