Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Connection stays stuck at "Acquiring network address" status

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
April 3, 2005 4:15:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I connect to the internet via cable, I plug in my Motorolla-SB4200 Surfboard
modem in my computer either with a USB cable or connect to my network adapter.
No matter which way I connect, I get this problem:
At the bottom-right tray, the icon of the connection has moving yellow
arrows over it. The status is said to be "Acquiring network address", invalid
IP (0.0.0.0) and such. I can't access the internet in ANY way...
I tried enabling/disabling Windows Firewall, repairing broken sockets, all
to no avail. The connection seemed to be working okay when I changed the
protocol in "Properties" from Internet Connection (TCP/IP) to Microsoft
Internet Connectoin version 6 (or a similar name), it got the connected
status. However, to access the net I still need to connect to a VPN network
of my ISP, that didnt work however.
I have a firewall, but I do not have a router, or anything similiar that I
didn't state. The problem seemed to pop out after I uninstalled Norton
Antivirus 2005, that didn't go okay and I had to un-install manually from the
Symanetc site. After that I reinstalled NAV, then used once again the
auto-uninstall function, which luckily worked that time.
At that point, the problem still existed (I installed Norton Internet
Security since then).
The internet works perfectly on my second computer, which is where I am
writing this from.
What can I do in order to fix my connection?
Thanks in advance to all repliers.
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 10:29:02 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I forgot to mention I am using Windows XP Professional SP2.
Anonymous
April 4, 2005 11:38:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Compubot wrote:
> I forgot to mention I am using Windows XP Professional SP2.
>


You've also neglected to ask a question.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
both at once. - RAH
Related resources
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 4:09:19 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"=?Utf-8?B?Q29tcHVib3Q=?=" wrote in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support:
>I connect to the internet via cable, I plug in my Motorolla-SB4200 Surfboard
>modem in my computer either with a USB cable or connect to my network adapter.
>No matter which way I connect, I get this problem:
>At the bottom-right tray, the icon of the connection has moving yellow
>arrows over it. The status is said to be "Acquiring network address", invalid
>IP (0.0.0.0) and such. I can't access the internet in ANY way...

Sorry to hammer on the obvious, but have you actually tried
accessing the Internet? Or when you say you "can't access", is that
just an assumption based on seeing "Acquiring network address"?

The reason I ask is that on both my wireless and my Ethernet
conections, the status stays permanently on "Acquiring network
address" but traffic goes through just fine in both directions.

Apologies for asking the obvious, but occasionally the answer to
"Is your TV plugged in?" is "Oops!"

--

Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems, Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 4:15:03 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Stan Brown" wrote:

> Sorry to hammer on the obvious, but have you actually tried
> accessing the Internet? Or when you say you "can't access", is that
> just an assumption based on seeing "Acquiring network address"?
>
> The reason I ask is that on both my wireless and my Ethernet
> conections, the status stays permanently on "Acquiring network
> address" but traffic goes through just fine in both directions.

Well, yes I did, and can't do anything do access the net. I bet you get an
IP, which I I actually don't, (as I stated, I get 0.0.0.0 as my IP) so it IS
a problem.
:\
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 7:26:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I figured it has to be a required service not running.
What services can cause this when disabled?
Also, I'd like if anyone could please supply a .reg file that restores
all services status to their default SP2 values.
Thanks
!