explorer problems.

songoku

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
Sometimes xp slows down, and using the task manger i have found that explorer.exe freaks out. I starts taking up clock cycles and memory. Just a second ago it was taking up 232,388 k and cpu was at 100! this happenes every day. So i have to end task, and it doesnt automaticly start back up, i have to start it. I an up to date on everything. any clues?

Supporting AMD with your breakable stuff.

James35

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
use windows explorer. and right click on your c: drive.
go to properties, and at the bottom you will see where it says the following...

"Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching"
take the check mark out of the box. click apply and wait for it to do it's thing.
then reboot and let it sit. and see if that cures it.

if there is acheck mark in the compress disk. remove that as well.

that should help you out.

songoku

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
both of thoese suggestions i do automaticly when i intall XP. And I dont understand your comment - "use windows explorer". You when and told me to turn of advanced funtions of ntfs to help Explorer which has nothing to do with my problem and nothing to do wiht windows explorer. Maybe it was a mistake or someting i dont know.

James35

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Your right my fault,was tired yesterday and thinking something else. I had that problem yesterday turned out to be a program that was turning every frame ofa movie into a bmp file. and was just tearing my system apart. perhaps it is something like that?

songoku

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
humm maybe. I found something on microsoft support page the other day, but now i cant find it again. its just a program and they have a insta-fix for it but say wait until sp2 comes out.

nach

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2003
The folder thumbnail cache setting can cause this symptom, especially if you have a windows explorer folder full of images opened and this setting is "no cache".

Its under tools\folder_options\view, just set "Do not cache thumnails" to "off/unchecked" and it will make a file instead of setting it up in Ram. This does waste space on disk but if folders never change its good.

I also recommend this cache setting left to cache on disk especially if there are folder shares on your home Network which need some sort of thumbnail cache.

Thumbnail cache is just one of the many Microsoft Business systems built into Xp.

songoku

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2003
I like Dont like th cached thumbs feature. It slows things down quite a bit and i dont have any pictures that i look at! The only pictures that i do have are the ones that cycle through on my desktop.