Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Home Network - crossover cable setup - 2 LAN icons PROBLEM!

Tags:
  • Windows XP
April 4, 2005 12:31:20 PM

hi there,

I am trying to set up a home network between my 2 computers to share
files.This computer has the right settings as it is able to share files with
someone else's pc and i was trying to set it to to share files with my pc.I
was having a look at the options that i was told to press at the time is was
setup so that i could use the same settings on my other pc so,my 2 pc's will
files share,but i went too far and landed up setting up the connection again
with the same settings.===>>>> NOW i have TWO LAN icons in my taskbar
permanently ! I have uninstalled the ether net card,tried to disable one of
them(but it simply disables the LAN) I have also uninstalled networking from
the add/remove windows components in the control panel.

So in short,my pc is trying to connect 2 LAN CONNECTIONS with my one
ethernet card.*

HOW do i get rid of the 2 connections ?!??? I have reinstalled XP and it
still wont go away

HELP!

I am also considering another option - to use the boot disk that i created
from Window Washer that wipes all files from the HDD permanently,if it
really does that.Then i have another problem.I tried to obtain a win98 boot
disk that has fdisk as i want to also change my partitions, from the web but
they will not write to cd as i do not have a fdd.Does anyone know where i
can get a copy that will write to CD??

Thanks for any help

More about : home network crossover cable setup lan icons problem

April 4, 2005 12:31:21 PM

Do you show an extra network card in Device Manager? If you show 2 try
deleting one of them.

Also, do you have Internet Connection Sharing on? I don't know if that
causes 2 icons, but it might.

pchelpneeded wrote:

> hi there,
>
> I am trying to set up a home network between my 2 computers to share
> files.This computer has the right settings as it is able to share files with
> someone else's pc and i was trying to set it to to share files with my pc.I
> was having a look at the options that i was told to press at the time is was
> setup so that i could use the same settings on my other pc so,my 2 pc's will
> files share,but i went too far and landed up setting up the connection again
> with the same settings.===>>>> NOW i have TWO LAN icons in my taskbar
> permanently ! I have uninstalled the ether net card,tried to disable one of
> them(but it simply disables the LAN) I have also uninstalled networking from
> the add/remove windows components in the control panel.
>
> So in short,my pc is trying to connect 2 LAN CONNECTIONS with my one
> ethernet card.*
>
> HOW do i get rid of the 2 connections ?!??? I have reinstalled XP and it
> still wont go away
>
> HELP!
>
> I am also considering another option - to use the boot disk that i created
> from Window Washer that wipes all files from the HDD permanently,if it
> really does that.Then i have another problem.I tried to obtain a win98 boot
> disk that has fdisk as i want to also change my partitions, from the web but
> they will not write to cd as i do not have a fdd.Does anyone know where i
> can get a copy that will write to CD??
>

> Thanks for any help

Anonymous
April 4, 2005 8:29:07 PM

hmm... i did have internet connection sharing on...now that i have turned
the ICS off i have 1 lan icon in the taskbar (previously2) when i am
offline
and when i am online(adsl) i have 1 LAN icon showing an ip and 1 icon
showing my adsl rather than a LAN icon with an exclamation mark and message
saying "limited or no connectivity..."

Is this how it is supposed to be??? ==>>> that the LAN icon does not
dissapear even when on adsl.

Thanks for a good point!