Home Network - crossover cable setup - 2 LAN icons PROBLEM!

hi there,

I am trying to set up a home network between my 2 computers to share
files.This computer has the right settings as it is able to share files with
someone else's pc and i was trying to set it to to share files with my pc.I
was having a look at the options that i was told to press at the time is was
setup so that i could use the same settings on my other pc so,my 2 pc's will
files share,but i went too far and landed up setting up the connection again
with the same settings.===>>>> NOW i have TWO LAN icons in my taskbar
permanently ! I have uninstalled the ether net card,tried to disable one of
them(but it simply disables the LAN) I have also uninstalled networking from
the add/remove windows components in the control panel.

So in short,my pc is trying to connect 2 LAN CONNECTIONS with my one
ethernet card.*

HOW do i get rid of the 2 connections ?!??? I have reinstalled XP and it
still wont go away

HELP!

I am also considering another option - to use the boot disk that i created
from Window Washer that wipes all files from the HDD permanently,if it
really does that.Then i have another problem.I tried to obtain a win98 boot
disk that has fdisk as i want to also change my partitions, from the web but
they will not write to cd as i do not have a fdd.Does anyone know where i
can get a copy that will write to CD??

Thanks for any help
2 answers Last reply
More about home network crossover cable setup icons problem

    Do you show an extra network card in Device Manager? If you show 2 try
    deleting one of them.

    Also, do you have Internet Connection Sharing on? I don't know if that
    causes 2 icons, but it might.

    pchelpneeded wrote:

    > hi there,
    >
    > I am trying to set up a home network between my 2 computers to share
    > files.This computer has the right settings as it is able to share files with
    > someone else's pc and i was trying to set it to to share files with my pc.I
    > was having a look at the options that i was told to press at the time is was
    > setup so that i could use the same settings on my other pc so,my 2 pc's will
    > files share,but i went too far and landed up setting up the connection again
    > with the same settings.===>>>> NOW i have TWO LAN icons in my taskbar
    > permanently ! I have uninstalled the ether net card,tried to disable one of
    > them(but it simply disables the LAN) I have also uninstalled networking from
    > the add/remove windows components in the control panel.
    >
    > So in short,my pc is trying to connect 2 LAN CONNECTIONS with my one
    > ethernet card.*
    >
    > HOW do i get rid of the 2 connections ?!??? I have reinstalled XP and it
    > still wont go away
    >
    > HELP!
    >
    > I am also considering another option - to use the boot disk that i created
    > from Window Washer that wipes all files from the HDD permanently,if it
    > really does that.Then i have another problem.I tried to obtain a win98 boot
    > disk that has fdisk as i want to also change my partitions, from the web but
    > they will not write to cd as i do not have a fdd.Does anyone know where i
    > can get a copy that will write to CD??
    >

    > Thanks for any help

    hmm... i did have internet connection sharing on...now that i have turned
    the ICS off i have 1 lan icon in the taskbar (previously2) when i am
    offline
    and when i am online(adsl) i have 1 LAN icon showing an ip and 1 icon
    showing my adsl rather than a LAN icon with an exclamation mark and message
    saying "limited or no connectivity..."

    Is this how it is supposed to be??? ==>>> that the LAN icon does not
    dissapear even when on adsl.

    Thanks for a good point!

    "Traveler" <traveler777x@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > Do you show an extra network card in Device Manager? If you show 2 try
    > deleting one of them.
    >
    > Also, do you have Internet Connection Sharing on? I don't know if that
    > causes 2 icons, but it might.

    > pchelpneeded wrote:
    >
    >> hi there,
    >>
    >> I am trying to set up a home network between my 2 computers to share
    >> files.This computer has the right settings as it is able to share files
    >> with someone else's pc and i was trying to set it to to share files with
    >> my pc.I was having a look at the options that i was told to press at the
    >> time is was setup so that i could use the same settings on my other pc
    >> so,my 2 pc's will files share,but i went too far and landed up setting up
    >> the connection again with the same settings.===>>>> NOW i have TWO LAN
    >> icons in my taskbar permanently ! I have uninstalled the ether net
    >> card,tried to disable one of them(but it simply disables the LAN) I have
    >> also uninstalled networking from the add/remove windows components in the
    >> control panel.
    >>
    >> So in short,my pc is trying to connect 2 LAN CONNECTIONS with my one
    >> ethernet card.*
    >>
    >> HOW do i get rid of the 2 connections ?!??? I have reinstalled XP and it
    >> still wont go away
    >>
    >> HELP!
    >>
    >> I am also considering another option - to use the boot disk that i
    >> created from Window Washer that wipes all files from the HDD
    >> permanently,if it really does that.Then i have another problem.I tried to
    >> obtain a win98 boot disk that has fdisk as i want to also change my
    >> partitions, from the web but they will not write to cd as i do not have a
    >> fdd.Does anyone know where i can get a copy that will write to CD??
    >>

    >> Thanks for any help

Windows XP