Strangest Xp error of them all

Ok I have
Amd xp 3000+
200gb wd hd
1 gig of ram

windows xp pro

Ok now heres my problem, I can click shutdown and restart or hit the reset
button on my pc and xp boots up fine. When i hit shutdown however and try to
boot up i get unmountable boot error. Now if i boot off anohter device like
my westerdigital utility floppy or windows xp cd, then restart windows loads
fine. However if i go into the repair consule after a shutdown instead of
having my 4 main partitions i have 1 partition thats not the right size.
Also it wont let me run chkdsk /r because it says theres errors, and ive
tryed fixboot but that ruined my c partition and i had to format again, but i
still have same problem. Also i cannot type dir to view the C partition
either. So im at a loss. It has to be something with the shutdown in xp
professional thats changing my master boot table, but I have no clue

Any Ideas?
4 answers Last reply
More about strangest error

    "Bugmage" <Bugmage@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Ok I have
    > Amd xp 3000+
    > 200gb wd hd
    > 1 gig of ram
    >
    > windows xp pro
    >
    > Ok now heres my problem, I can click shutdown and restart or hit the reset
    > button on my pc and xp boots up fine. When i hit shutdown however and try
    > boot up i get unmountable boot error. Now if i boot off anohter device
    > like
    > my westerdigital utility floppy or windows xp cd, then restart windows
    > loads
    > fine. However if i go into the repair consule after a shutdown instead of
    > having my 4 main partitions i have 1 partition thats not the right size.
    > Also it wont let me run chkdsk /r because it says theres errors, and ive
    > tryed fixboot but that ruined my c partition and i had to format again,
    > but i
    > still have same problem. Also i cannot type dir to view the C partition
    > either. So im at a loss. It has to be something with the shutdown in xp
    > professional thats changing my master boot table, but I have no clue
    >
    > Any Ideas?

    Does your XP CD have SP1 or SP2? If it doesn't then it won't work properly
    with drives larger than 137 GB. Also if your motherboard doesn't support 48
    bit LBA and you used the Western Digital utility to install the hard drive
    then you must either boot from the hard drive or the WD utility so the
    relevant BIOS code will be replaced with the WD software. What motherboard
    do you have? See this link for info on 48 bit LBA.

    http://www.48bitlba.com/

    Kerry

    I have SP2 and I used the WD utility to set up the drive and the windows
    version to enable 137gb+ drive

    I have a k7vme

    >I have SP2 and I used the WD utility to set up the drive and the windows
    > version to enable 137gb+ drive
    >
    > I have a k7vme

    A quick google search and checking the Soyo web site I can't find out if
    that motherboard supports 48 bit lba. If you used the WD utility to set up
    the drive and the motherboard doesn't support drives that large then you are
    not able to boot from the Windows XP CD and access the drive properly. The
    WD utility inserts some code in the MBR to replace the BIOS routines for
    hard drive access. You can only boot from the hard drive or the WD utility
    disc if this is the case. This means you can't use the recovery console by
    booting from the CD. You may be able to install the recovery console on your
    hard drive and access it that way. There are instructions for installing the
    recovery console here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/helpandsupport/learnmore/tips/vinson1.mspx

    As to your other problem about the unmountable boot error I suspect it is
    related but don't have enough information to be sure. I've never installed
    the WD utility for large hard drives and I've never used that motherboard. I
    don't recommend installing large drives unless they are fully supported by
    the motherboard or a 3rd party controller card is used. If that motherboard
    does support large hard drives then you could reinstall Windows without the
    WD utility but you would loose all your data and programs.

    You don't say how SP2 was installed. Was it included on the Windows CD or
    did you install it later? If the Windows CD doesn't have at leat SP1
    included then it doesn't matter what you do you won't be able to access the
    full size of the hard drive by booting from the CD to the recovery console.

    Kerry

    > "Kerry Brown" wrote:
    >
    >> "Bugmage" <Bugmage@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Ok I have
    >> > Amd xp 3000+
    >> > 200gb wd hd
    >> > 1 gig of ram
    >> >
    >> > windows xp pro
    >> >
    >> > Ok now heres my problem, I can click shutdown and restart or hit the
    >> > reset
    >> > button on my pc and xp boots up fine. When i hit shutdown however and
    >> > try
    >> > boot up i get unmountable boot error. Now if i boot off anohter device
    >> > like
    >> > my westerdigital utility floppy or windows xp cd, then restart windows
    >> > loads
    >> > fine. However if i go into the repair consule after a shutdown instead
    >> > of
    >> > having my 4 main partitions i have 1 partition thats not the right
    >> > size.
    >> > Also it wont let me run chkdsk /r because it says theres errors, and
    >> > ive
    >> > tryed fixboot but that ruined my c partition and i had to format again,
    >> > but i
    >> > still have same problem. Also i cannot type dir to view the C
    >> > partition
    >> > either. So im at a loss. It has to be something with the shutdown in
    >> > xp
    >> > professional thats changing my master boot table, but I have no clue
    >> >
    >> > Any Ideas?
    >>
    >> Does your XP CD have SP1 or SP2? If it doesn't then it won't work
    >> properly
    >> with drives larger than 137 GB. Also if your motherboard doesn't support
    >> 48
    >> bit LBA and you used the Western Digital utility to install the hard
    >> drive
    >> then you must either boot from the hard drive or the WD utility so the
    >> relevant BIOS code will be replaced with the WD software. What
    >> motherboard
    >> do you have? See this link for info on 48 bit LBA.
    >>
    >> http://www.48bitlba.com/
    >>
    >> Kerry

    Ok that makes sense in the wd utility it has a chkmark if your useing SP1, I
    assumed it was that you installed SP1 sometime on your system not that it had
    to be incorporated on the install cd, I checked yes because the first thing i
    do is download it. But still ive done it that way befor and its actually
    worked just fine, thanks for the help

    "Bugmage" wrote:

    > Ok I have
    > Amd xp 3000+
    > 200gb wd hd
    > 1 gig of ram
    >
    > windows xp pro
    >
    > Ok now heres my problem, I can click shutdown and restart or hit the reset
    > button on my pc and xp boots up fine. When i hit shutdown however and try to
    > boot up i get unmountable boot error. Now if i boot off anohter device like
    > my westerdigital utility floppy or windows xp cd, then restart windows loads
    > fine. However if i go into the repair consule after a shutdown instead of
    > having my 4 main partitions i have 1 partition thats not the right size.
    > Also it wont let me run chkdsk /r because it says theres errors, and ive
    > tryed fixboot but that ruined my c partition and i had to format again, but i
    > still have same problem. Also i cannot type dir to view the C partition
    > either. So im at a loss. It has to be something with the shutdown in xp
    > professional thats changing my master boot table, but I have no clue
    >
    > Any Ideas?

Boot Shutdown Windows XP