Aero Question

wwusa83

Distinguished
May 2, 2010
I just upgraded to Windows 7 (64 bit) from vista (32 bit) a couple of days ago. I am really pleased with Windows 7 and am happy with its performance and its appearance. I use my computer for gaming and internet use. My question is this: I have read conflicting reports about Aero reducing game performance. I have read it does and does not have an effect and I have read that it is automatically turned off when a game is started. Which is true? I would really like to keep Aero running because I like the way it looks but I need a definitive answer on whether it turns off during games. Thank you.

cassandraf_winteam

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Hello wwuse83,

It is true that some visual effects of aero may be automatically turned off due to a program being incompatible with Aero themes, screen resolution changes, or your computer doesn't have enough memory to run all of the programs that you have open and also run an Aero theme. However, if Aero does automatically turn off, you can turn it back on once the conflicting program is closed.

You can find more detailed information on Aero, here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Why-are-some-visual-elements-being-automatically-turned-off

Cheers,
Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach

TRENDING THREADS