File Access

Confused

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001

I migrated a user from an XP Home machine to an XP Pro machine. I used xcopy
to copy some of the files the the "My Documants". When the user opens
documents on the Pro machine, they get an error that says "another user has
this file open. Would you like to make a copy of it?". This is not a
networked machine and when I check the attributes of the files, they show as
'Read Only'. I change them but it does no good. Any ideas? Thanks!

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

"Confused" <Confused@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I migrated a user from an XP Home machine to an XP Pro machine. I used
>xcopy
> to copy some of the files the the "My Documants". When the user opens
> documents on the Pro machine, they get an error that says "another
> user has
> this file open. Would you like to make a copy of it?". This is not a
> networked machine and when I check the attributes of the files, they
> show as
> 'Read Only'. I change them but it does no good. Any ideas? Thanks!

The SIDs (security identifiers) assigned to a user account and used to
assign privileges on files will be different under each instance of
Windows. File permissions only apply when using NTFS. So the
permissions on the files that you moved from Windows XP Home using NTFS
to the Windows XP Pro using NTFS won't have the same SIDs assigned to
them.

You can either login under an admin account and take ownership of those
files and then add the user's account to those files to allow him
permissions. Or create a FAT32 partition, copy the files there (which
doesn't support permissions so they all get stripped), and then copy
from the FAT32 partition to the NTFS partition. I haven't used this
last method but from Microsoft's description of permission (and the lack
of it under FAT32) then this should work.

** Post your replies to the newsgroup - Share with others **
For e-mail Reply: remove "NIXTHIS", add "#VS811" to Subject.