Sign in with
Your question

Trouble installing Windows XP Pro on a new pc

Last response: in Windows XP
June 9, 2003 3:48:37 AM

I am building my first computer and I am having trouble installing Windows XP Pro on my new computer. Let me say that I have an Asus 845pe motherboard and a Western Digital 800JB hard drive. Firstoff, when I entered bios for the first time it recognized my hard drive no problem. Then I proceeded to install Windows XP Pro. Btw, I have a full version of Windows XP Pro that I am using. I went through all the intial steps of installing Windows XP Pro on my hard drive. I partitioned the hard drive using the Windows XP Pro disc and then I selected the file system and finally Windows XP Pro copied the files from the disc to my hard drive. Then it had restart my system to continue the installation process, but when it restarts the computer with the cd still in the cd rom it goes back to the intial Windows XP Pro installation that I have already completed. After I tried to install Windows XP Pro I went back into bios and noticed that my hard drive is no longer recognized immediately. I have to go into the hard drive selection screen. In here the bios recognized my hard drive. When I exit out of this section the rest of bios now recognizes my hard drive. I save and exit the changes I have made, but now every time I go back into bios it doesn't remember my hard drive and I have to go through the same process for bios to recognize my hard drive. I have even deleted the partition I made for Windows XP Pro, but the hard drive still it not recognized automatically. I am not sure if the reason I am having trouble installing Windows XP Pro is related to this, but this is the only thing I have picked up on. My motherboard manual says something about using an FDISK application to partition and format the hard drive, but I have no idea how to go about this. Can anybody give me some ideas as to what I need to do to either get the bios to remember my hard drive or install Windows XP Pro properly? Thanks.
June 9, 2003 7:33:54 AM

when you run through the initial setup the first time ie: partition, format, copy files, then reboot -- the first screen you see on reboot it will say 'press any key to boot from cdrom' or something to that effect, DO NOT PRESS ANY KEY!! the installation files have already been copied to the hard drive and will carry on with setup, you do not need to boot to CDROM after the files have copied to hdd. I think this is the problem you're having.
Anonymous
June 9, 2003 10:27:08 AM

I got an ASUS P4PE as well.

Set boot order under bootup in bios as follows:
1. floppy ??????
2. HD boot none (off)
> 3. CDRom boot to cd drive (on)

After its finished with the first HD copy, it sounds like you have above, set bootup like this:
1. floppy ?????? (na)
> 2. HD set to your primary (on)
3. cdrom (off)

After this leave it set this way for rest of install, so the install boots from HD.
Related resources
Anonymous
June 9, 2003 10:59:40 AM

With Microsoft XP its trying to teach you something, its trying to say that the BIOS is under control of XP's code.
June 9, 2003 11:56:20 AM

After awhile I got to lazy to have to keep going back in my BIOS, and sometime it may take days before I go back in and set the boot up the right way. Now of days I just leave the floppy as first, CD-R second and the HDD third. This way I can boot to either one just by the disk I have in. Of course the floppy has to be out or it will boot up, and the CD-R will give a choice if still in. I found this to be easier and convenient for me and I don’t have to mess with the BIOS when ever I want to boot from one or the other. I suppose if someone wants to squeeze every second out of the boot up they would boot from the HDD first, but I choice the convenience over a couple second.

When you feel that reality does not suit you, live a fantasy life.
Anonymous
June 9, 2003 12:16:31 PM

The ASUS P4PE 1002 bios has this riduculas setup where to set the CDROM as boot device on a dead Ntfs disk, HD boot must be disabled.

After the first boot from XP-Pro-setup like Neo done, it debugs itself and bypasses the Bios boot order and looks for the HD which need not be set in Bios to boot.

In fact theres no need to ever switch on the HD boot in Bios as HD failure will get past it and try to bootup from CDrom or from floppy first like always.

<font color=blue>Service to reset these words : </font color=blue><font color=red>enabled</font color=red>

|>*<| >*< *
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by wired_geek on 06/09/03 06:33 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
June 9, 2003 12:41:34 PM

Ok, I’ll have to take your word for that. I’m looking forward to seeing what the BIOS looks like in the P4P800 I ordered. Different CPU and different chip for me should be interesting.

Anonymous
June 9, 2003 1:14:22 PM

From what I seen the 1002 bios has CL2.5 as slowest, fsb maxed at 200Mhz.

The later bios, 1006 I noticed has CL3, fsb maxed at 230Mhz.

CL2.5 is why I use ver.1002, I don't need 200Mhz fsb.

<font color=blue>I'm back with an administrator.</font color=blue>
June 9, 2003 1:47:58 PM

I’m not sure what your talking about, or mobo for that matter. Since I mention the P4P800, which has the latest BIOS of 1007 and the mobo you mention P4PE I see the v1005 as the latest. Unless your talking about a different mobo all together.

Anonymous
June 9, 2003 3:05:32 PM

Opps sorry, I'm getting old, the latest bios for asus P4PE is 1005 not 1006.
June 9, 2003 3:56:12 PM

Alrighty.....

My mobo just came in, hurray! So out of excitement with out delay order the P4 2.8, which I plan to run my dual DDR2400 with. Since I’m still debating if I should get different memory and if so what. The DDR400 I looked at will be around $170, not to cheap. And I heard a rumor that DDR 333 was faster then DDR400, or and maybe I would have a problem running at high memory setting, making it kind of a waist to get C2. So for now I’ll use my DDR 2400, which is Corsair C2.

June 9, 2003 9:24:41 PM

I tried some of your suggestions today and I still can't get it to work. I found out that I do have version 1002 of the bios so I am not sure if the bug you mentioned is the problem. I tried installing windows xp pro once by first setting my boot order as follows:

1. floppy drive
2. hard drive (disabled)
3. cd rom

Then after windows loaded all the files onto my hard drive I went back into bios and changed the boot order to this:

1. floppy drive
2. hard drive
3. cd rom (disabled)

But I got the same message from bios. Bios says to insert a system disk and press enter.

The next time I installed windows xp pro I took wired_geek's advice and went into bios and set the boot order like this:

1. floppy drive
2. hard drive ( disabled)
3. cd rom

I really don't know where to go from here. I guess I will try your suggestions again and see if anything works, but I may just call Asus and see if they can help me. It seems like my real problem is just getting bios to remember my hard drive in the boot order. I can save the changes I have made to bios and exit, but the hard drive never automatically shows up on the boot order. Everything else I change in bios is saved except for this. Someone please help me...please
Anonymous
June 9, 2003 9:53:28 PM

There could be a problem with the way the drive is configured.

You should look at the ide cable, the strap on master drive set to "on" and also for slave drive working if theres another drive on ide cable and also use a DOS boot disk and see if drive responds to fdisk.

If all else fails call hardware support, maybe the mobo is faulty.
June 9, 2003 11:04:55 PM

What do you mean by the strap on the master drive? Are you talking about the jumper setting or something else?
June 9, 2003 11:31:00 PM

Haleluia! I owe you a big thank you. You talking about the strap on the master drive got me thinking. I went upstairs and changed the jumper setting to CS and PRESTO windows xp pro installation is now working! My hard drive came on that jumper setting and I should have just left it instead of changing it to master. Thank you very much. You made my month! Seriously!
!