Undeletable "cookie"

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

Hi. My Windows XP system has started freezing, usually
when I access the Internet via http or nntp. There has also
appeared a "cookie" in Temporary Internet Files that I
cannot delete. This "cookie" has a non-printable file name
that Windows Explorer cannot display, but it appears to
be about 12 characters long. Clicking on Properties reveals
that the "cookie" is 88 bytes long and has a "cache name"
of AdMiN@CoMcAsT[0]0tXt, where the 0 is actually a
character displayed as a narrow hollow vertical rectangle.
The "X" in "tXt" is an upper case "x". It appears that the
tXt" is to disguise a file (perhaps an executable file) as a
..txt file, and I therefore have avoided opening it.

"Admin" is my account username on the PC, and it has
administrator privileges. "Comcast" is my ISP. I have no
Comcast software installed that I know of, and I suspect
the name segment "AdMiN@CoMcAsT" was synthesized
automatically from these two names.

I have run a full system scan with Ad-Aware and Norton
Anti-Virus, but no malware was found.

Does anyone know what's going on and how I can get
rid of this "cookie"?

#That's Him! That's Cramer!#
8 answers Last reply
More about undeletable cookie
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Try this: Restart in safe mode (when BIOS screen turns black, hit several times F8 and choose that option), login in an Administrator account, and go to folder X:\Documents and Settings\[your_account]\cookies. See if you can delete the cookie manually.

    "Richard Cramer" <RTCramer@RecordableMail.com> escribió en el mensaje news:KcedneN9BNV3Tc3fRVn-vw@comcast.com...
    > Hi. My Windows XP system has started freezing, usually
    > when I access the Internet via http or nntp. There has also
    > appeared a "cookie" in Temporary Internet Files that I
    > cannot delete. This "cookie" has a non-printable file name
    > that Windows Explorer cannot display, but it appears to
    > be about 12 characters long. Clicking on Properties reveals
    > that the "cookie" is 88 bytes long and has a "cache name"
    > of AdMiN@CoMcAsT[0]0tXt, where the 0 is actually a
    > character displayed as a narrow hollow vertical rectangle.
    > The "X" in "tXt" is an upper case "x". It appears that the
    > tXt" is to disguise a file (perhaps an executable file) as a
    > .txt file, and I therefore have avoided opening it.
    >
    > "Admin" is my account username on the PC, and it has
    > administrator privileges. "Comcast" is my ISP. I have no
    > Comcast software installed that I know of, and I suspect
    > the name segment "AdMiN@CoMcAsT" was synthesized
    > automatically from these two names.
    >
    > I have run a full system scan with Ad-Aware and Norton
    > Anti-Virus, but no malware was found.
    >
    > Does anyone know what's going on and how I can get
    > rid of this "cookie"?
    >
    > #That's Him! That's Cramer!#
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    The "cookie" is not in the Cookies folder. It's in the
    Temporary Internet Files folder. And no, I still couldn't
    delete it in safe mode.

    #That's Him! That's Cramer!#

    "Richard Cramer" wrote:
    > Hi. My Windows XP system has started freezing, usually
    > when I access the Internet via http or nntp. There has also
    > appeared a "cookie" in Temporary Internet Files that I
    > cannot delete. This "cookie" has a non-printable file name
    > that Windows Explorer cannot display, but it appears to
    > be about 12 characters long. Clicking on Properties reveals
    > that the "cookie" is 88 bytes long and has a "cache name"
    > of AdMiN@CoMcAsT[0]0tXt, where the 0 is actually a
    > character displayed as a narrow hollow vertical rectangle.
    > The "X" in "tXt" is an upper case "x". It appears that the
    > tXt" is to disguise a file (perhaps an executable file) as a
    > .txt file, and I therefore have avoided opening it.
    >
    > "Admin" is my account username on the PC, and it has
    > administrator privileges. "Comcast" is my ISP. I have no
    > Comcast software installed that I know of, and I suspect
    > the name segment "AdMiN@CoMcAsT" was synthesized
    > automatically from these two names.
    >
    > I have run a full system scan with Ad-Aware and Norton
    > Anti-Virus, but no malware was found.
    >
    > Does anyone know what's going on and how I can get
    > rid of this "cookie"?
    >
    > #That's Him! That's Cramer!#
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    See if this helps:
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

    "Richard Cramer" <RTCramer@RecordableMail.com> escribió en el mensaje news:vZednZfRAIcgZ83fRVn-2g@comcast.com...
    > The "cookie" is not in the Cookies folder. It's in the
    > Temporary Internet Files folder. And no, I still couldn't
    > delete it in safe mode.
    >
    > #That's Him! That's Cramer!#
    >

    > "José Gallardo" wrote in quoted_printable:
    > Try this: Restart in safe mode (when BIOS screen turns black,
    > hit several times F8 and choose that option), login in an
    > Administrator account, and go to folder
    > X:\Documents and Settings\[your_account]\cookies. See if
    > you can delete the cookie manually.
    >

    > "Richard Cramer" wrote:
    >> Hi. My Windows XP system has started freezing, usually
    >> when I access the Internet via http or nntp. There has also
    >> appeared a "cookie" in Temporary Internet Files that I
    >> cannot delete. This "cookie" has a non-printable file name
    >> that Windows Explorer cannot display, but it appears to
    >> be about 12 characters long. Clicking on Properties reveals
    >> that the "cookie" is 88 bytes long and has a "cache name"
    >> of AdMiN@CoMcAsT[0]0tXt, where the 0 is actually a
    >> character displayed as a narrow hollow vertical rectangle.
    >> The "X" in "tXt" is an upper case "x". It appears that the
    >> tXt" is to disguise a file (perhaps an executable file) as a
    >> .txt file, and I therefore have avoided opening it.
    >>
    >> "Admin" is my account username on the PC, and it has
    >> administrator privileges. "Comcast" is my ISP. I have no
    >> Comcast software installed that I know of, and I suspect
    >> the name segment "AdMiN@CoMcAsT" was synthesized
    >> automatically from these two names.
    >>
    >> I have run a full system scan with Ad-Aware and Norton
    >> Anti-Virus, but no malware was found.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know what's going on and how I can get
    >> rid of this "cookie"?
    >>
    >> #That's Him! That's Cramer!#

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Cookies are text files. I.e. somename.txt. They can be opened with
    Notepad.

    wesley p. vogelatcomcast[1].txt I chaged the @ sign to at because OE
    tries to make a hyperlink. This is a cookie from comcast.net for me.

    I did the same here... AdMiNatCoMcAsT[1].tXt This is a cookie from
    comcast.net for someone named admin. Ring any bells??

    What happens if you drag AdMiNatCoMcAsT[1].tXt out of the TIF folder to
    the Desktop and try to delete it??

    As with anything involving Temporary Internet Files, this gets
    confusing.

    The "cookies" in the Temporary Internet Files Folder are just pointers
    the real cookies.

    Real cookies are stored here >>
    C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Cookies

    The Delete Cookies button deletes the cookies here >>
    C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Cookies

    But it also deletes the pointers to the real cookies here >>
    C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Local Settings\Temporary
    Internet
    Files

    If you manually delete a cookie file from the Temporary Internet Files
    folder, both the pointer to the Cookies folder and the cookie file
    located
    in the Cookies folder are deleted.

    If you delete a cookie from the cookies folder it leaves the pointer to
    the
    cookie behind. But it's worthless. Just like a shortcut that does not
    point to anything.

    To delete a cookie
    1 In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
    2 On the General tab, click Settings, and then click View files.
    3 Select the cookie you want to delete, and then, on the File menu,
    click
    Delete.

    To delete all of the cookies on your computer, click Delete Cookies on
    the
    General tab.

    To delete *all* Temporary Internet Files...

    1) Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | OK
    Or right click the Internet Explorer icon on your Desktop.
    Or: Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options.
    Best to do this with all instances of Internet Explorer closed.
    Especially
    if there are a large number of files.
    2) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click on Delete
    Files
    3) Check the box ? Delete all offline content {This cleans >>
    C:\Documents
    and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files AND
    C:\Documents and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\Temporary Internet
    Files\Content.IE5 and \Content.MSO (Created by an MS Office program)
    4) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after it deletes
    the
    temporary internet files
    5) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to delete cookies
    that
    websites have placed on your hard drive.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:vZednZfRAIcgZ83fRVn-2g@comcast.com,
    Richard Cramer <RTCramer@RecordableMail.com> hunted and pecked:
    > The "cookie" is not in the Cookies folder. It's in the
    > Temporary Internet Files folder. And no, I still couldn't
    > delete it in safe mode.
    >
    > #That's Him! That's Cramer!#
    >

    > "José Gallardo" wrote in quoted_printable:
    > Try this: Restart in safe mode (when BIOS screen turns black,
    > hit several times F8 and choose that option), login in an
    > Administrator account, and go to folder
    > X:\Documents and Settings\[your_account]\cookies. See if
    > you can delete the cookie manually.
    >

    > "Richard Cramer" wrote:
    >> Hi. My Windows XP system has started freezing, usually
    >> when I access the Internet via http or nntp. There has also
    >> appeared a "cookie" in Temporary Internet Files that I
    >> cannot delete. This "cookie" has a non-printable file name
    >> that Windows Explorer cannot display, but it appears to
    >> be about 12 characters long. Clicking on Properties reveals
    >> that the "cookie" is 88 bytes long and has a "cache name"
    >> of AdMiN@CoMcAsT[0]0tXt, where the 0 is actually a
    >> character displayed as a narrow hollow vertical rectangle.
    >> The "X" in "tXt" is an upper case "x". It appears that the
    >> tXt" is to disguise a file (perhaps an executable file) as a
    >> .txt file, and I therefore have avoided opening it.
    >>
    >> "Admin" is my account username on the PC, and it has
    >> administrator privileges. "Comcast" is my ISP. I have no
    >> Comcast software installed that I know of, and I suspect
    >> the name segment "AdMiN@CoMcAsT" was synthesized
    >> automatically from these two names.
    >>
    >> I have run a full system scan with Ad-Aware and Norton
    >> Anti-Virus, but no malware was found.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know what's going on and how I can get
    >> rid of this "cookie"?
    >>
    >> #That's Him! That's Cramer!#
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    i can show you how to not make hyperlinks. you right-click it then
    properties and then select the text that has the so-called "site". then
    delete it.

    --
    RYRY

> [...]
    >>> that Windows Explorer cannot display, but it appears to
    >>> be about 12 characters long. Clicking on Properties reveals
    >>> that the "cookie" is 88 bytes long and has a "cache name"
    >>> of AdMiN@CoMcAsT[0]0tXt, where the 0 is actually a
    >>> character displayed as a narrow hollow vertical rectangle.
    >>> The "X" in "tXt" is an upper case "x". It appears that the
    >>> tXt" is to disguise a file (perhaps an executable file) as a
    >>> .txt file, and I therefore have avoided opening it.
    >>>
    >>> "Admin" is my account username on the PC, and it has
    >>> administrator privileges. "Comcast" is my ISP. I have no
    >>> Comcast software installed that I know of, and I suspect
    >>> the name segment "AdMiN@CoMcAsT" was synthesized
    >>> automatically from these two names.
    >>>
    >>> I have run a full system scan with Ad-Aware and Norton
    >>> Anti-Virus, but no malware was found.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know what's going on and how I can get

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    RYRY,

    rkasteel@shaw.ca

    That does work if you're careful with the Enter key.

    Nope.

    rkasteel@shaw.ca

    All you have to do is Save the message.

    What am I missing?

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:eIZ1ElYOFHA.2348@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    RYRY <rkasteel@shaw.ca> hunted and pecked:
> [...]
    >> 5) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to delete cookies
    >> that
    >> websites have placed on your hard drive.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >>
    >> Wes
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >>
    >> In news:vZednZfRAIcgZ83fRVn-2g@comcast.com,
    >> Richard Cramer <RTCramer@RecordableMail.com> hunted and pecked:
    >>> The "cookie" is not in the Cookies folder. It's in the
    >>> Temporary Internet Files folder. And no, I still couldn't
    >>> delete it in safe mode.
    >>>
    >>> #That's Him! That's Cramer!#
    >>>

    >>> "José Gallardo" wrote in quoted_printable:
    >>> Try this: Restart in safe mode (when BIOS screen turns black,
    >>> hit several times F8 and choose that option), login in an
    >>> Administrator account, and go to folder
    >>> X:\Documents and Settings\[your_account]\cookies. See if

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > What happens if you drag AdMiNatCoMcAsT[1].tXt out of the
    > TIF folder to the Desktop and try to delete it??

    It can't be dragged. The error msg appears:
    "Cannot move file: Cannot read from the source file or disk."

    > As with anything involving Temporary Internet Files, this gets
    > confusing.
    >
    > The "cookies" in the Temporary Internet Files Folder are just
    > pointers to the real cookies.
    >
    > Real cookies are stored here >>
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Cookies
    >
    > The Delete Cookies button deletes the cookies here >>
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Cookies
    >
    > But it also deletes the pointers to the real cookies here >>
    > C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name Here\Local Settings\Temporary
    > Internet
    > Files
    >
    > If you manually delete a cookie file from the Temporary Internet Files
    > folder, both the pointer to the Cookies folder and the cookie file
    > located in the Cookies folder are deleted.
    >
    > If you delete a cookie from the cookies folder it leaves the pointer
    > to the cookie behind. But it's worthless. Just like a shortcut that
    > does not point to anything.
    >
    > To delete a cookie
    > 1 In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
    > 2 On the General tab, click Settings, and then click View files.
    > 3 Select the cookie you want to delete, and then, on the File menu,
    > click Delete.

    The file does not go away.

    > To delete all of the cookies on your computer, click
    > Delete Cookies on the General tab.
    >
    > To delete *all* Temporary Internet Files...
    >
    > 1) Start | Run | Type: inetcpl.cpl | OK
    > Or right click the Internet Explorer icon on your Desktop.
    > Or: Start | Settings | Control Panel | Internet Options.
    > Best to do this with all instances of Internet Explorer closed.
    > Especially if there are a large number of files.
    > 2) On the General Tab, in the middle of the screen, click
    > on Delete Files
    > 3) Check the box ? Delete all offline content {This cleans >>
    > C:\Documents and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\
    > Temporary Internet Files AND
    > C:\Documents and Settings\YourNameHere\Local Settings\
    > Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 and \Content.MSO
    > (Created by an MS Office program)
    > 4) Click on OK and wait for the hourglass icon to stop after
    > it deletes the temporary internet files
    > 5) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to
    > delete cookies that websites have placed on your hard drive.

    Those are various routes to the Temporary Internet Files
    folder, and all attempts to delete the file left in it fail.

    #That's Him! That's Cramer!#

    > Richard Cramer hunted and pecked:
    >> The "cookie" is not in the Cookies folder. It's in the
    >> Temporary Internet Files folder. And no, I still couldn't
    >> delete it in safe mode.
    >>
    >> #That's Him! That's Cramer!#
    >>

    >> "José Gallardo" wrote in quoted_printable:
    >> Try this: Restart in safe mode (when BIOS screen turns black,
    >> hit several times F8 and choose that option), login in an
    >> Administrator account, and go to folder
    >> X:\Documents and Settings\[your_account]\cookies. See if
    >> you can delete the cookie manually.
    >>

    >> "Richard Cramer" wrote:
    >>> Hi. My Windows XP system has started freezing, usually
    >>> when I access the Internet via http or nntp. There has also
    >>> appeared a "cookie" in Temporary Internet Files that I
    >>> cannot delete. This "cookie" has a non-printable file name
    >>> that Windows Explorer cannot display, but it appears to
    >>> be about 12 characters long. Clicking on Properties reveals
    >>> that the "cookie" is 88 bytes long and has a "cache name"
    >>> of AdMiN@CoMcAsT[0]0tXt, where the 0 is actually a
    >>> character displayed as a narrow hollow vertical rectangle.
    >>> The "X" in "tXt" is an upper case "x". It appears that the
    >>> tXt" is to disguise a file (perhaps an executable file) as a
    >>> .txt file, and I therefore have avoided opening it.
    >>>
    >>> "Admin" is my account username on the PC, and it has
    >>> administrator privileges. "Comcast" is my ISP. I have no
    >>> Comcast software installed that I know of, and I suspect
    >>> the name segment "AdMiN@CoMcAsT" was synthesized
    >>> automatically from these two names.
    >>>
    >>> I have run a full system scan with Ad-Aware and Norton
    >>> Anti-Virus, but no malware was found.
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know what's going on and how I can get
    >>> rid of this "cookie"?
    >>>
    >>> #That's Him! That's Cramer!#

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment (More info?)

    Richard,

    Some things to look at.

    You Cannot Delete a File or a Folder
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320081

    Delete A File That Is Seemingly "Undeletable"
    http://www.theeldergeek.com/delete_undeletable_file.htm

    ---

    Delete - Can't Delete Files or Folders
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_d.htm#del

    Delete - AVI, MPG... files (access denied error)
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_d.htm

    Scroll down to Delete - AVI, MPG... files (access denied error)
    ---

    How To Delete "Undeletable" Files And Folders In XP
    http://www.bootdisk.com/xptop20.htm#8

    "Access Denied" Error Message When You Try to Delete a File
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=298345

    You cannot delete a file or a folder on an NTFS file system volume
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320081

    You Receive an "Access Denied" Error Message When You Delete Folders
    from a Mounted Drive
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=319368

    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:uoedndqR17lP2M_fRVn-1Q@comcast.com,
    Richard Cramer <RCramer@RecordMail.com> hunted and pecked:
> [...]
    >> it deletes the temporary internet files
    >> 5) You can now click on Delete Cookies and click OK to
    >> delete cookies that websites have placed on your hard drive.
    >

    > Those are various routes to the Temporary Internet Files
    > folder, and all attempts to delete the file left in it
    > fail.
    >

    > #That's Him! That's Cramer!#
    >

    >> Richard Cramer hunted and pecked:
    >>> The "cookie" is not in the Cookies folder. It's in the
    >>> Temporary Internet Files folder. And no, I still couldn't
    >>> delete it in safe mode.
    >>>
    >>> #That's Him! That's Cramer!#
    >>>

    >>> "José Gallardo" wrote in quoted_printable:
    >>> Try this: Restart in safe mode (when BIOS screen turns black,
    >>> hit several times F8 and choose that option), login in an
    >>> Administrator account, and go to folder
    >>> X:\Documents and Settings\[your_account]\cookies. See if

Internet Service Providers Cookie Microsoft Windows XP