Just installed new geforce 5900

Never

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2003
I just got my second pc up and running last night. My wife has pretty much taken over my PC for the last month. Anyways for Christmas the two last pieces of hardware i needed was a video card and soundcard. Long and behold when i opened up the present there sat a Gainward FX5900.. I was pretty scared to say the least because i have heard nothing but horror stories about Geforce ever since the release of the 5800. Matter of a fact the reviews and forums is what kept me from buying a geforce back then. And im glad i didnt and got the 9700 pro instead.

Now in my other PC i have a 9700 pro, and i must say thats what i thought i was getting for this one, or maybe a 9800 :) I cant say anything but good stuff about my 9700 pro, i bought it about a year and half ago, and i have had nothing but success out of it, no compatible problems everythings great.

Anyways i just wanted to say after i got the Geforce up and running, the first thing i wanted to state was the noise. I dont hear it... Maybe its the case i bought is helping dampen it http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/cst-99.html?id=J5HgvZ8P

But overall its as quiet as my other machine. From what i read in alot of posts i was scared it was going to sound like a jet plane takin off. Now the Athlon xp 3000 is noticably louder in my new machine compared to my 2.53 p4 in the older one. But the Geforce as of right now is doing great, im going to get to some tests in the next few days once new years is over, but i ran call of duty and Need for Speed underground, with no problems whatsoever.

If anyones interested ill post 3dmarks and system specs on both pcs in a few days. But i wanted to state at least in my case the 5900 is rather quiet.

Vimp

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2003
What sort of 5900 is it? is it an Ultra or a non Ultra? or is it an XT version of the non-ultra? OR seeing as its a Gainward card is it a 1600 Golden Sample, 1600, 1300, 1200 Golden Sample, 1200, or 1100 model?