Lightweight Gaming Laptop

Hello all!

I am looking for a laptop that is under 5lbs that is capable to run games such as The Witcher or Skyrim.

Under $2500 unless financing is possible.

Weight is very important because this is my primary computer. I feel screen size should be decent.

13 inch sounds to be the most common. 11inch just seems to small to me.

Sony's S series looked promising. So did the Z series however I don't like the idea of the Media tower.
Never owned a Mac (except for an Apple IIGS when I was younger) but then I would have to do a PC conversion (which I know very little about)

At least 256GB HD, 500GB preferred. 8GB RAM.

I would like to find a laptop that will also last. 4 years seems to be the death cycle.

Also is it worth waiting for Windows 8 or Intel's Ivy Bridge?

In Summary:
Ultraportable
Gaming
13inch
500GB HD
8GB RAM
2nd Gen i7 or 3rd Gen i7

Thank you for your time,
BG
8 answers Last reply
More about lightweight gaming laptop
  1. Hello and welcome to the forums
    We don't have many gaming 13" laptops,but if you are fine with 14" laptops,then consider AW M14x.It's a decent laptop and has been updated with Ivy bridge CPUs recently.
  2. I was actually looking at an ultrabook not too long ago - however it's not out yet. It was a Gigabyte ultrabook, something like 14" 1600x900 res, Geforce 640M and an Core i5.

It looks like it will be a decent gaming machine for its size. I don't think it's out yet though.

However the alienware is also a good reccomendation.
  3. Maziar said:
    Hello and welcome to the forums
    We don't have many gaming 13" laptops,but if you are fine with 14" laptops,then consider AW M14x.It's a decent laptop and has been updated with Ivy bridge CPUs recently.

14inch is fine.

13inch or larger but weight is the issue. I see the AW M14x is >6lbs

I was hoping to find something <=4lbs.

I guess what I am really looking for is an ultraportable laptop capable of gaming.

Thank you for your response!
  4. Chainzsaw said:
    I was actually looking at an ultrabook not too long ago - however it's not out yet. It was a Gigabyte ultrabook, something like 14" 1600x900 res, Geforce 640M and an Core i5.

It looks like it will be a decent gaming machine for its size. I don't think it's out yet though.

However the alienware is also a good reccomendation.

This looks promising. Anywhere to track it's progression?
  5. I think this one should take care of you...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834131206

Almost 5lbs even
    quad core i7 2675QM, 2.2 Ghz
    15.6" screen with a 1600x900 resolution
    AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1 GB of dedicated memory
    8Gb of RAM
    7200 RPM harddrive
    over 7 hours of battery life (on power saving mode, I'm sure)
    Windows 7 Professional (which has XP mode, which can be nice for running older games and programs)

The singular concern I have is that if you wanted to play newer games on Ultra instead of high. That graphics card is very nice, but not THAT nice. So if that's a concern of yours, I don't mind looking around for something with a little more graphics muscle. Just keep in mind that you might see a considerable jump up in price because it's hard to keep the weight down with that much performance under the hood!
  6. Grand_Admiral_K said:
    I think this one should take care of you...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834131206

Almost 5lbs even
    quad core i7 2675QM, 2.2 Ghz
    15.6" screen with a 1600x900 resolution
    AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1 GB of dedicated memory
    8Gb of RAM
    7200 RPM harddrive
    over 7 hours of battery life (on power saving mode, I'm sure)
    Windows 7 Professional (which has XP mode, which can be nice for running older games and programs)

The singular concern I have is that if you wanted to play newer games on Ultra instead of high. That graphics card is very nice, but not THAT nice. So if that's a concern of yours, I don't mind looking around for something with a little more graphics muscle. Just keep in mind that you might see a considerable jump up in price because it's hard to keep the weight down with that much performance under the hood!

This is a great choice and for a 15" laptop it's quite lightweight.Another option would be Acer Aspire S3
    http://hothardware.com/Reviews/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-640M-Kepler-Goes-Mobile-with-Acer/?page=2
    It's got a GT 640M and it's also lightweight
  7. Maziar said:
    This is a great choice and for a 15" laptop it's quite lightweight.Another option would be Acer Aspire S3
    http://hothardware.com/Reviews/NVIDIA-GeForce-GT-640M-Kepler-Goes-Mobile-with-Acer/?page=2
    It's got a GT 640M and it's also lightweight

I have never heard anyone actually recommend an Acer for anything. But it does look promising
  8. Yep I never recommend Acer either but the S3 is an exception
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Product