1337 HL2 Coupon comes with every R9600XT?

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
A friend of mine is planning of buying a Sapphire Radeon 9600XT and I told him that I heard that they come with a coupon of Halflife 2. ("cool, I might not have to download it"). Now, do you only get that coupon when you buy built by ATI, or only when you buy retail? Also, I don't live in the US, does it matter?

<b><A HREF="http://www.multiplaycity.com/diy1/005/intelhsf.jpg" target="_new">I'm an Intel fan</A></b>

cleeve

Illustrious
I've heard some low-tier manufacturers do not include the coupon.

Vimp

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2003
If you buy OEM instead of retail then its very possible that you won't get the coupon. Also Asus' XT cards also come with the coupon.

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
I thought they started with the coupon thing only when the XTs (9800 and 9600) came out.

<b><A HREF="http://www.multiplaycity.com/diy1/005/intelhsf.jpg" target="_new">I'm an Intel fan</A></b>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I think they come with all BBA cards too now, my AIW 9600 Pro came with one.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Check it again, I bet it's a coupon for the original Half-Life. :tongue:

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

<b>-NEW PIC IN THGC ALBUM-</b>

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
That Radeon 9600Pro AIW you got to make a review?! You also got HL2?! That just ain't fair...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
LOL, no, it's HL2. If it was the old HL, they wouldn't have needed to use a coupon.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
<A HREF="http://www.sysopt.com/reviews/ati-AiW9600Pro/index.html" target="_new">There you go</A>

Vimp

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2003
TThe only cards I have known to come with HL2 is the main brands of any XT card, (9600 and 9800), as well as the AIW 9600 Pro and just recently Asus now makes a 9800 Pro which they are also supplying with HL2. However Asus is the only company I know to supply HL2 with a 9800 Pro.

Hobbit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I thought I would point out to you something about this HL2 coupon promotion. I looked into this myself since a cousin of mine was going to buy a new graphics card. Well after looking into it we found that the prices for the cards that come without it are as much as $30 cheaper. So, after considering that you will have to wait more than likely 6-8 weeks and probably longer to get your HL2 game after everyone else bought it retail for $39.99 on sale and has been playing the hell out of it 2 months longer than you I dont think the promotion is very good at all. If you do buy it with the game dont wait for your copy in the mail but purchase it retail and sell your copy on ebay or something when it comes in.

Balls, said the Queen if I had them I would be king!

Vimp

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2003
Where I am in Canada the difference between the OEM and retail is $30 and the game itself has a typical selling price for $64. Games don't normaly go on sale anywheres where I am till they have been out for a minnimum of 1 month. And when they finnaly do start dropping in price its ussually only by as much as $10 for a long while. So Buying the retail version of the card I'm saving myself over $30, or $20 by the time the game goes on sale, for the game alone and on top of it I get the box and accessories that the retail comes with. Needless to say buying Retail over OEM would be a deffinit bargain where I am.

I'm curious too where you came up with the 6-8 weeks before someone would get thier HL2 after its release. From my understanding the coupon allows you to go to any store the moment the game is released and get a free copy. I'm pretty sure you don't need to mail it in or anything like that. Also in the mean time while people wait for HL2 to be released ones who bought the retail card are able to freely download the first HalfLife and all its expansions among other things. However once HL2 is released you have to give up all that in exchange for HL2.
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Vimp on 01/01/04 03:48 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Hobbit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well that is insteresting I have not read the coupon and did assume you had to mail out for the free game just like I have done a few times in the past for games I didnt have to have immediately.

Can you post a link to the coupon?

I do recommend retail versus OEM and I never mentioned OEM. In NY where I live the price is almost always $39.99 the first or second week a game hits the shelves. Sometimes a it takes longer but you can always get a price guarantee within 4 weeks after your purchase at many stores. I almost exclusively purchase games from BestBuy and use their pricematch policy to get the best price when they are slow to put the game on sale but other stores have advertised a cheaper price. I also use the bestbuy reward zone card to get an even better deal.

If as you say you can actually walk in any store and get a retail copy with coupon in hand the day it is available in the store then paying an extra $30 for the retail video card is absolutely worth it.

I have to see a link to a picture of the coupon before I believe that though.

Hobbit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have researched this more and you DO NOT get to take a coupon into the store and take a retail copy of HL2 off the shelves. You can either download it or get it shipped retail boxed etc. I was pretty certain that you were wrong on your presumtion about that. Anyhow since you can download it you can get it fast but most players would want it retail boxed so they can have a hard retail copy instead of a download. So, my original premise for not bothering with the promotion if you can save some cash buying the same graphics card without it stands. What I will do is order a 9800XT in March and download HL1 and order HL2 via mail but purchase HL2 retail in the store and when I get HL2 via mail sell that copy.

Vimp

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2003
Well whether I have to mail in or not I'm still saving $30 buying the retail. However since you say it can be downloaded then even better.