Using Dell Reinstallation CD for New Install

DB

I've got a Dell Dimension 4550 that came (March 2003) with XP Home
installed on a 60gb hd. The drive is about 67% full, and is set up the
way I like it. However, I purchased a Seagate 160gb hd, and was going to
image the 60gb onto the Seagate, and move the Seagate to primary, and put
the original 60gb in the slave position. (I've also got a dvd-rom and a
dvd-rw occupying the secondary IDE.)

But, I got to thinking...I'd like to put the 160 gb Seagate on the
primary, and do a clean, or fresh, install of XP from the Dell
reinstallation cd, and just put the original 60gb hd on the shelf, or
perhaps use as a slave. I'd leave everything on it, as it is right now.
That way, if I ran into any configuration, application, or driver
problems with the new hd, I could just plug the original hd back in as
the primary boot disk.

My understanding is that I can use the Dell reinstallation cd to do this
as long as I am using the original machine, because the cd needs to
recognize the Dell bios to properly install (or install at all). Is this
correct? If so, what's the process, since I won't have cd drivers
installed when I put in a new hd?

Thanks

DB,
How to use Seagate's DiscWizard to Image current HDD onto new Seagate HDD: http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/howto/use_dw2002.html

Look under "Custom Installation Information", for changing partition sizes for your new HDD. I don't know if the program has the capability of copying the "hidden" Diagnostic Partition to HDD.

You should have gotten a Resource CD and/or a Drivers' CD with your Dell. But if you lost them or they are damaged, you can download all the drivers that you need from Dell with XP installed at:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_4550&category=0&os=WW1&osl=EN

You may want to save them to a folder on PC, then burn them to CD for later use.

--
¼á
"DB" <dbcooper@chute.net> wrote in message news:Xns95EB44E7BB2DDdbcooperchutenet@13.1.103.31...
I've got a Dell Dimension 4550 that came (March 2003) with XP Home
installed on a 60gb hd. The drive is about 67% full, and is set up the
way I like it. However, I purchased a Seagate 160gb hd, and was going to
image the 60gb onto the Seagate, and move the Seagate to primary, and put
the original 60gb in the slave position. (I've also got a dvd-rom and a
dvd-rw occupying the secondary IDE.)

But, I got to thinking...I'd like to put the 160 gb Seagate on the
primary, and do a clean, or fresh, install of XP from the Dell
reinstallation cd, and just put the original 60gb hd on the shelf, or
perhaps use as a slave. I'd leave everything on it, as it is right now.
That way, if I ran into any configuration, application, or driver
problems with the new hd, I could just plug the original hd back in as
the primary boot disk.

My understanding is that I can use the Dell reinstallation cd to do this
as long as I am using the original machine, because the cd needs to
recognize the Dell bios to properly install (or install at all). Is this
correct? If so, what's the process, since I won't have cd drivers
installed when I put in a new hd?

Thanks

"DB" <dbcooper@chute.net> wrote in message
> I've got a Dell Dimension 4550 that came (March 2003) with XP Home
> installed on a 60gb hd. The drive is about 67% full, and is set up the
> way I like it. However, I purchased a Seagate 160gb hd, and was going to
> image the 60gb onto the Seagate, and move the Seagate to primary, and put
> the original 60gb in the slave position. (I've also got a dvd-rom and a
> dvd-rw occupying the secondary IDE.)
>
> But, I got to thinking...I'd like to put the 160 gb Seagate on the
> primary, and do a clean, or fresh, install of XP from the Dell
> reinstallation cd, and just put the original 60gb hd on the shelf, or
> perhaps use as a slave. I'd leave everything on it, as it is right now.
> That way, if I ran into any configuration, application, or driver
> problems with the new hd, I could just plug the original hd back in as
> the primary boot disk.
>
> My understanding is that I can use the Dell reinstallation cd to do this
> as long as I am using the original machine, because the cd needs to
> recognize the Dell bios to properly install (or install at all). Is this
> correct? If so, what's the process, since I won't have cd drivers
> installed when I put in a new hd?
>
> Thanks

To do a clean install, remove the 60GB drive. Install the 160GB drive
(jumpered cable select).

Boot the XP CD.

Follow the instructions.

Make sure you have either the resource CD, or all the drivers from
support.dell.com burned to a CD BEFORE you start. You'll need them.

Install the Chipset drivers first, then everything else.

You're done.

Very easy -- I do it all the time on my 4550.

Tom

ahall

Tom> To do a clean install, remove the 60GB drive. Install the 160GB drive
Tom> (jumpered cable select).

Tom> Boot the XP CD.

Tom> Follow the instructions.

Tom> Make sure you have either the resource CD, or all the drivers from
Tom> support.dell.com burned to a CD BEFORE you start. You'll need them.

Tom> Install the Chipset drivers first, then everything else.

Tom> You're done.

Tom> Very easy -- I do it all the time on my 4550.

Why do you do it "all the time"?

I have not had the need yet to reinstall. I have restored
from a backup image, but not reinstalled.

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

1. The OP needs to be careful about the non-operating system software installed
on the 60GB hard drive. Installing a fresh copy of Windows on the 160GB hard
drive does nothing to recoup the software on the 60GB drive. If the OP has the
media to reload all the software (e.g. MS Office, Photoshop or whatever) on the
160GB drive, then there is no problem. After reinstalling Windows, don't forget
that the multitude of Windows critical fixes and security band-aids have to be
downloaded and installed. This IS time-consuming, even with a high-speed
broadband internet connection, and requires several reboots just to make life
interesting. Lacking all the media or an easy means to download other software,
I think I would opt for cloning the 60GB drive onto the 160GB drive and move on
with life.

2. "Very easy -- I do it all the time on my 4550." This is a sad commentary on
the reliability of Windows that you feel compelled to reinstall all the time!
I'm sure you are exaggerating a bit, but probably not much.

.... Ben Myers

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 11:24:21 -0500, "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:

>"DB" <dbcooper@chute.net> wrote in message
>> I've got a Dell Dimension 4550 that came (March 2003) with XP Home
>> installed on a 60gb hd. The drive is about 67% full, and is set up the
>> way I like it. However, I purchased a Seagate 160gb hd, and was going to
>> image the 60gb onto the Seagate, and move the Seagate to primary, and put
>> the original 60gb in the slave position. (I've also got a dvd-rom and a
>> dvd-rw occupying the secondary IDE.)
>>
>> But, I got to thinking...I'd like to put the 160 gb Seagate on the
>> primary, and do a clean, or fresh, install of XP from the Dell
>> reinstallation cd, and just put the original 60gb hd on the shelf, or
>> perhaps use as a slave. I'd leave everything on it, as it is right now.
>> That way, if I ran into any configuration, application, or driver
>> problems with the new hd, I could just plug the original hd back in as
>> the primary boot disk.
>>
>> My understanding is that I can use the Dell reinstallation cd to do this
>> as long as I am using the original machine, because the cd needs to
>> recognize the Dell bios to properly install (or install at all). Is this
>> correct? If so, what's the process, since I won't have cd drivers
>> installed when I put in a new hd?
>>
>> Thanks
>
>To do a clean install, remove the 60GB drive. Install the 160GB drive
>(jumpered cable select).
>
>Boot the XP CD.
>
>Follow the instructions.
>
>Make sure you have either the resource CD, or all the drivers from
>support.dell.com burned to a CD BEFORE you start. You'll need them.
>
>Install the Chipset drivers first, then everything else.
>
>You're done.
>
>Very easy -- I do it all the time on my 4550.
>
>Tom

DB

"RRR_News" <nospam@isp.com> wrote in

> DB,
> How to use Seagate's DiscWizard to Image current HDD onto new Seagate
> HDD: http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/howto/use_dw2002.html
>
> Look under "Custom Installation Information", for changing partition
> sizes for your new HDD. I don't know if the program has the capability
> of copying the "hidden" Diagnostic Partition to HDD.
>
> You should have gotten a Resource CD and/or a Drivers' CD with your
> Dell. But if you lost them or they are damaged, you can download all
> the drivers that you need from Dell with XP installed at:
>
> http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/devices.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&
> s=dhs&SystemID=DIM_PNT_P4_4550&category=0&os=WW1&osl=EN
>
> You may want to save them to a folder on PC, then burn them to CD for
> later use.

Yep, I have all of the original cds from Dell. Resource, drivers,
utilities, Works Suite, etc.

Thanks