How do I prevent a driver from loading?

Roger at CCCC

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2008
My new Windows 7 system came with a Conexant modem installed, and I suspect that the drivers may be causing problems. I want to remove the drivers from the OS but I don’t really want to open the case and physically remove the modem. If I uninstall the drivers, they do uninstall, but the next time I boot, Windows 7 automatically installs them again. How can I prevent these drivers from loading without physically removing the modem? And how can I get a list of loaded drivers in a running system to make sure they have not been loaded? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

mibix19

Distinguished
You can disable the modem by going to Device Manager. On the left, click on the modem and at the top of the window you will see options. Click on Disable and this will stop it loading (and drivers) when windows starts. You can re- enable it at a future time if you want.

Roger at CCCC

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2008
Thank you mibix19 for your response. However, it doesn't seem to work, at least on Windows 7. When I disable the modem in Device Manager and also uninstall the drivers, they are reinstalled when the system is rebooted. Any other ideas?

mibix19 didn't say uninstall the driver - just Disable the device and that will keep it all quiet until you re-enable it.[/#000ff]

Roger at CCCC

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2008
My understanding is that a driver can cause problems if it is loaded regardless of whether the device is enabled or disabled. My goal is to prevent the driver from loading without physically removing the device. Disabling the device does not prevent the driver from loading when Windows 7 is rebooted.

Have you tried Uninstall Driver followed by Disable with no restart in between?

mhelm1

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2010
Roger, No. I have several HID devices disabled in device manager because they cause conflicts with other hardware.
Just test it out. Disable it and your problem should go away. If not that driver wasn't the problem.
If that doesn't work and your not convinced then physically remove the modem and then the driver from your system. if the modem is on your moBo disable it in bios