How to make 3DMark show artifacts?

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
Can someone please tell me the most stressful demo in 3DMark that would definitely show me artifacts if I've overclocked too much? What about AA and AF, does adding those help?

I'm in the middle of overclocking my Radeon 9600P with 3.3ns Samsung memory and no matter how high I raise the core I don't seem to get artifacts (stock is 400). I had it at 470 and when I started Wings of Fury the card crashed and the computer defaulted to software acceleration until I rebooted. At 456 I still see no artifacts and the game runs fine. Am I mistaken thinking that raising the core frequency give artifacts, is that the memory?

<b><A HREF="http://www.multiplaycity.com/diy1/005/intelhsf.jpg" target="_new">I'm an Intel fan</A></b>

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
Well, run 3dmark03 at the highest resolution your monitor supports with 6xAA/16xAF if you want to slow the card down. Basically, if it's overclocked safely, you should be able to run it smoothly no matter what settings you have.

AMD 2500+, 1gb DDR333, Radeon 9800 Pro, Audigy 2. Yummy...

My Experience with 3Dmk03 mainly got artifacts with memory overclocks (above 365mhz), With core overclocks I would get massive corruption (worse than artifacts) and crash to desktop and freezing. Depends on your cards but for me the artifacts came from memory overclocks. The artifacts were also very minor appearing like 'blackflies' in the audio test for me.

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=348985#348985" target="_new">HERE</A>'s the original thread about my/our early Overclocking experiences with the R9600P and other cards.

Don't expect to get similar memory overclocks with your slower memory, going to 350+ would likely fry that 3.3ns stuff, I wouldn't expect much above 315 if that (many site have only acheived 306,308,310 level results.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

<b>-NEW PIC IN THGC ALBUM-</b>

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
I just can't run 3DMark 2001, after I've installed DeriectX 9, I can only run it before I install the new DX, do you know of a patch for this?

<b><A HREF="http://www.multiplaycity.com/diy1/005/intelhsf.jpg" target="_new">I'm an Intel fan</A></b>

Not really. Did you upgrade your 3-in-1 drivers?

You may need to remove DX9 (with a removal tool because it's so imbeded into Windows) and reinstall after installing 3Dmk01. Dunno!
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=7345102" target="_new">It works for me</A> with DX9.0A, and DX9.0B, I don't know why it wouldn't/doesn't work for you.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

<b>-NEW PIC IN THGC ALBUM-</b>

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
I don't get there, but there are none of the effects you mentioned, just crashes.

Got a nice overclocked overvolted system to keep you warm at night? That's great. Guess I'll have to settle for a woman...

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
Makes sense, but when I touch the sink on the card it's not that hot.

Got a nice overclocked overvolted system to keep you warm at night? That's great. Guess I'll have to settle for a woman...

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
Me do that, 'll get back to you in a few minutes.

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
OK, I checked, it doesnt get hot and crashes anywhere above 474MHZ so I'll keep it at 460.