XP File and Folder Sharing

April 4, 2005 1:25:25 PM

Hi

Am I correct in thinking that normally to limit file and folder sharing on
a user or group basis that each machine on a network has to run XP Pro?

If so, is there any way to implement this with XP Home machines with third
party software?

--
Regards
Barry

More about : file folder sharing

Anonymous
April 4, 2005 1:25:26 PM

In Home, boot to safe mode (f8 on restart) and log on as the default "Administrator" account. Rightclick a folder, and see the
sharing\security tab, for the Permissions button. (You may have to accept sharing, by running the wizard, or bypassing it, to see
the security tab button.)

There is also a command line utility for sharing.

162786 - Undocumented CACLS Group Permissions Capabilities: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q162786

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509