AIW 9800 pro problems

jcar

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2003
I recently built a machine that included a radeon 9800 AIW pro. Whenever I try to play games (Halo, Call of Duty, Rainbox Six 3) I have extreme texture problems. The problems vary from small spots covering textures to floors and skies just looking like they have cracks in them and flashing whenever I move around to weapons looking grainy and spotty. I have the latest catalyst drivers. I don't really know how to be more specific. My full system specs are:

1 gb Kingston HyperX dual DDR
Abit IS7 mobo
Pentium 4 2.6ghz 800mb fsb
WD 120gb hd
sound blaster audigy2 platinum
antec true power 380w psu
plextor 708a dvd rw
Sony sdm-x73 monitor

Any help is appreciated.

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
That sounds like my problem, I had bad vram (or so i think.) I had an AIW 9800 Pro also. Did you connect the power connector to it when you put it in?

I'd start filling out the RMA request now, it takes them 2 or 3 days to actually ok it and give you a shipping address to ship it out and the RMA number that you need. Prepare to wait another 10 days after that. It seems Ati has been having a lot of problems with their video cards (I see a lot more problems with Ati cards than Nvidia's here at the forums.) My next card is probably going to be Nvidia, I just hope their next card will be like the GF4 line again.

-----------------------
Add witty comment here and beat this bad boy...
A64 3200+ w/ 1 GB DDR 400
2 36 gig raptors in Raid 0 complemented by an AIW 9800 Pro

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
My next card is probably going to be Nvidia, I just hope their next card will be like the GF4 line again.
What? The GeforceTI series (I <i>know</i> you're not talking about the MX) was good but I got killed by the Radeon 9700/9500 series which were also DX9 compatible.

Got a nice overclocked overvolted system to keep you warm at night? That's great. Guess I'll have to settle for a woman...

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
The g4's were DX9 compatible, the radeon 9xxx series were DX 9 compliant (minus the 9200 and 9000.) I'm just saying that the Ti's were a good jump in performance over the older cards and didn't have any driver "problems" or a huge heatsink/fan/vacum. It's tough to predict what will happen next because Nvidia is in a tough spot or at least I hope another competitor comes up front, I don't support company's that left a bad taste in my mouth.

-----------------------

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
The reason you see a lot more problems with ATI is because they are so popular among forum members. I also refuse to rule out a company because of one bad experience, instead I look at what's a better buy, a card that does 30 FPS better than another on DX8 but the difference is between 150 and 180 FPS or a card that does 10 FPS better on DX9 with AA & AF and the difference is between 20 and 30 FPS.

Got a nice overclocked overvolted system to keep you warm at night? That's great. Guess I'll have to settle for a woman...

gothitbycar

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2002
I think its personal opinion after that but still, if it happened to you i think your position would be different. Lets say you had a ford explorer. Now lets imagine it was when they had all the blow outs and rollover problems. Your going home and boom, blow out, car rolls now you need a new one. Will you buy another ford? What if it never happened at all. Would you still buy another ford even though you heard about it happening? What if they said they would replace it for free (minus shipping and handeling) if it was *proved* to be defective. Now they shipped you back another one and it was tested and proved as best they could to be non defective. Would you still accept it?

That's about the same scenario, no one get's hurt and you get a product back. Both are manufactured goods don't forget.

-----------------------

ytoledano

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2003
That's really not the same thing. The correct analogy would have been if you had a Ford explorer and just yours (not the whole line) had a defect with the fuel injection (or something...) and it would turn off every 10 minutes, but other than that it's a great car which everyone recommends. Would you then accept the car after they fixed it?

BirdRobin

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2003
Whats alternate pixel center?

Athlon XP 1700+ (1.47ghz)
Gigabyte GA-7VKML
Powercolour R9600pro Bravo (400/340) @ (480/340)
384mb PC2100 DDR (128+256)
IBM 20gb 5400rpm 2mb+WD 40gb 5400rpm 2mb