Hi, There.

I'm running Windows XP (Version 5.1, Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158: SP 2). I've
set my screen saver to go on automatically, and to display the Welcome screen on
resume, so as to lock the computer.

Whenever I return to the computer with the screen saver on, and move the mouse, up pops
the Welcome screen ... with a bit of weirdness. In the lower left hand corner, instead
of "Turn Off Computer," it literally says, "Turn Off Blah Blah." To me, this seems
like something is certainly infected.

My question is, has anyone else ever seen this behavior? Is the source of it known?
Is there a known way to remove whatever malware is associated with this odd display?

Thanks for anyone's time.

E. T. Fores

Hi Eaton,

Virus and Spyware removal and prevention.
http://home.earthlink.net/~mvp_bert/html/body_spyware.html

--
Regards,
Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User

"Eaton T. Fores" <etf@etfrc.com> wrote in message
> Hi, There.
>
> I'm running Windows XP (Version 5.1, Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158:
> SP 2). I've set my screen saver to go on automatically, and to display
> the Welcome screen on resume, so as to lock the computer.
>
> Whenever I return to the computer with the screen saver on, and move the
> mouse, up pops the Welcome screen ... with a bit of weirdness. In the
> lower left hand corner, instead of "Turn Off Computer," it literally says,
> "Turn Off Blah Blah." To me, this seems like something is certainly
> infected.
>
> My question is, has anyone else ever seen this behavior? Is the source of
> it known? Is there a known way to remove whatever malware is associated
> with this odd display?
>
> Thanks for anyone's time.
>
> E. T. Fores

"Blah Blah" is what you called your Computer, to rename your computer.

Winkey+Break (System Properties)>Computer Name>Change>Change the name of
your Computer.

--
William

"Eaton T. Fores" wrote in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support:
>Whenever I return to the computer with the screen saver on, and move the mouse, up pops
>the Welcome screen ... with a bit of weirdness. In the lower left hand corner, instead
>of "Turn Off Computer," it literally says, "Turn Off Blah Blah."

Is your computer named Blah Blah?

Many people, presented on first boot with a request for a computer
name, just type the first thing that comes into their heads.

To check this, press Windows+Break to bring up System Properties,
and look at the Computer Name tab. If you're Administrator, you can
change it, and the change should be reflected in the Welcome screen
(possibly after the next time you boot).

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Thanks to everyone who pointed my way out of this stupid problem. Since I'm a
professional software engineer, I'm a bit embarassed to discover that I simply was
unaware that XP displays the computer name instead of "the computer" when it displays
"Turn off the computer."

Thanks again to everyone for their help.

ETF

Mikey

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Eaton T. Fores" wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who pointed my way out of this stupid problem. Since I'm a
> professional software engineer, I'm a bit embarassed to discover that I simply was
> unaware that XP displays the computer name instead of "the computer" when it displays
> "Turn off the computer."
>
> Thanks again to everyone for their help.
>
> ETF

Change your computer's name to Bill Gates, then you'll be able to turn him off whenever
you feel like it.