Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Slow internet

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
April 4, 2005 3:23:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Found this on a site that says my internet speed downloading is half
what it should be. I know it is slow. Is this a viable solution to
help?

Launch window registry editor by clicking on Start | Run .
Click in the Open dropdown box and type in regedit.exe then click OK .
Back up your registry by selecting File | Export type in a meaningful
file name, in the export range section select All and save to your hard
drive. To restore your old registry you simply import this file.
Next you need to create a new registry key. On the left side you need to
go to the directory
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
Select Edit | New | DWORD Value .
Rename the new registry key to TcpWindowSize.
Modify the registry setting for TcpWindowSize by double clicking on the
key.
Change the Base Setting to Decimal.
Use the below table to determined what value to enter into the Value
data field and click OK. Option Receive Buffer Size Description
Typical Latency 64240 This is the most common case for cable modems,
DSL, or satellite connections. Use this setting if your ping times are
often greater than 100ms. It will set the receive buffer size to 64240.
Low Latency 32120 Use this setting if ping times to your most commonly
used sites are usually less than 100ms, or if your connection
experiences high ping losses. It will set the receive buffer size to
32120. Some cable modem or DSL users may find this setting provides
better performance.

For these settings to take effect you need to close all your open
applications and reboot your system.

More about : slow internet

Anonymous
April 4, 2005 8:52:54 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

You can try the following as it sometimes helps fine tune your MTU settings
and such.

.. test your settings here
http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks

.. set it and your RWIN value based on your test results:
http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp

--
Regards

Greg Palmer
MS-MVP Windows (Shell/User)

"Dennis" <den942@bright.net> wrote in message
news:rv-dnb8lwrhZxszfRVn-1w@bright.net...
> Found this on a site that says my internet speed downloading is half
> what it should be. I know it is slow. Is this a viable solution to
> help?
>
> Launch window registry editor by clicking on Start | Run .
> Click in the Open dropdown box and type in regedit.exe then click OK .
> Back up your registry by selecting File | Export type in a meaningful file
> name, in the export range section select All and save to your hard drive.
> To restore your old registry you simply import this file.
> Next you need to create a new registry key. On the left side you need to
> go to the directory
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters
> Select Edit | New | DWORD Value .
> Rename the new registry key to TcpWindowSize.
> Modify the registry setting for TcpWindowSize by double clicking on the
> key.
> Change the Base Setting to Decimal.
> Use the below table to determined what value to enter into the Value data
> field and click OK. Option Receive Buffer Size Description
> Typical Latency 64240 This is the most common case for cable modems, DSL,
> or satellite connections. Use this setting if your ping times are often
> greater than 100ms. It will set the receive buffer size to 64240.
> Low Latency 32120 Use this setting if ping times to your most commonly
> used sites are usually less than 100ms, or if your connection experiences
> high ping losses. It will set the receive buffer size to 32120. Some cable
> modem or DSL users may find this setting provides better performance.
>
> For these settings to take effect you need to close all your open
> applications and reboot your system.
>
April 5, 2005 3:11:43 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

This site is for DSL and Broadband. I'm on dial up...

Greg Palmer wrote:

> You can try the following as it sometimes helps fine tune your MTU settings
> and such.
>
> . test your settings here
> http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks
>
> . set it and your RWIN value based on your test results:
> http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp
>
Related resources
Anonymous
April 5, 2005 11:54:04 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

The setting changes that you sited in your original post are for DSL and
Cable also, hence the reason I sent you to the two links below. In your case
you are unlike to gain any noticable differences by changing any settings.

--
Regards

Greg Palmer
MS-MVP Windows (Shell/User)

"Dennis" <den942@bright.net> wrote in message
news:bK6dnTqEtb5VnM_fRVn-uw@bright.net...
> This site is for DSL and Broadband. I'm on dial up...
>
> Greg Palmer wrote:
>
>> You can try the following as it sometimes helps fine tune your MTU
>> settings and such.
>>
>> . test your settings here
>> http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks
>>
>> . set it and your RWIN value based on your test results:
>> http://www.dslreports.com/drtcp
>>
>
June 24, 2011 8:43:18 AM

Thanks for sharing......................................
July 14, 2011 8:06:27 AM

scan your pc,,, a full scan...
!