Limited Drives Available

I have several clients operating on Windows XP Professional who need to
connect several USB devices to their computers. We have 4 shared network
drives to each machine, as well as a hard drive and CD drive, some users have
more CD drives or a floppy drive as well. However, when plugging in a USB
device, such as a digital camera, USB key, or PDA, the computers running
Windows XP will not show that device. Is this a problem of not having enough
drives available to be displayed or something deeper in XP? The Windows 2000
Pro users are not having this problem at all. Help would be greatly
appreciated. Thanks

If the systems with this problem all have Media Player 10 installed, you might need a plug-in for the devices. I would try letting
Media Player update itself by trying to use it's 'Copy to CD" option. If no help, I would uninstall the Media Player 10 upgrade in
add/remove, to see if that helped.

To show updates in Add/Remove - If you are running Windows XP Service Pack 2, select the Show updates check box (at the top of the
list),

--

Mark L. Ferguson (NOT an MS-MVP)
FAQ for MS Antispyware version 1.0.509