Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

DA (Desk Accesory) freaks share here

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
August 8, 2005 11:53:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

All u DA freaks- pls share the GOOD stuff here:

This is what I LOVE about Palms!! All those freakin COOL DA's!!


--
Pete


------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pete's Profile: http://www.micromagiclabs.com/forums/member.php?userid=...
View this thread: http://www.micromagiclabs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2...
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 5:03:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Pete <privacy@net.com> aszonygya:
:This is what I LOVE about Palms!! All those freakin COOL DA's!!

Actually almost all DAs are very-very buggy and very poorly written. I found
this out when I wrote pDeskAccTool which is part of my pToolSet. I would not
install any DA on my personal Palm although I have installed and used plenty
of them while testing pDeskAccTool.

Despite them being "COOL" I advise against using them. Exceptions might
exist though.

/PaulN
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 5:03:08 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <dda9ib$fg4$1@charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>, Paul Nevai wrote:
> Pete <privacy@net.com> aszonygya:
>:This is what I LOVE about Palms!! All those freakin COOL DA's!!
>
> Actually almost all DAs are very-very buggy and very poorly written.

Well, mine isn't. :->

http://ingles.homeunix.org/software/kiosk/

I really haven't run into problems with DAs, though maybe I'm just
lucky and picked the good ones... or perhaps you're using a PalmOS5
machine and DAs aren't really supposed to work there?

--
Sincerely,

Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

Joe and Suzanne Werfelman of Sciota, Pa., were shocked to hear
from their son, Richard, a 23-year-old law student called up by
his military-police unit, that he had been issued a protective
vest without the plates that stop automatic-rifle rounds. They
bought and shipped the plates themselves, at a cost of $660.
http://www.msnbc.com/news/991161.asp?0cv=KB10
("Support the Troops", indeed.)
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 7:37:12 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Hi,

Ray Ingles wrote:
> In article <dda9ib$fg4$1@charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu>, Paul Nevai wrote:
>
>>Pete <privacy@net.com> aszonygya:
>>:This is what I LOVE about Palms!! All those freakin COOL DA's!!
>>
>>Actually almost all DAs are very-very buggy and very poorly written.
>
>
> Well, mine isn't. :->
>
> http://ingles.homeunix.org/software/kiosk/
>
> I really haven't run into problems with DAs, though maybe I'm just
> lucky and picked the good ones... or perhaps you're using a PalmOS5
> machine and DAs aren't really supposed to work there?

I use daMemoPad, acWordCount, SimpleClockDA and the OxfordDA which is
part of the Oxford Chinese-English suite. Never had any problems with
any of them, running on my LifeDrive. The LifeDrive sure has other
problems, but not with DAs.

HTH,
Laurent
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 9:49:38 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

sorceror171@gmail.com aszonygya:
: I really haven't run into problems with DAs, though maybe I'm just
:lucky and picked the good ones... or perhaps you're using a PalmOS5
:machine and DAs aren't really supposed to work there?

Well, I only checked a few dozen. Many problems are not so obvious to the
user but are considered major defects such as memory leaks and lack of error
checking.

In principle, DAs work on OS5 [unless they themselves do stuff which is no
longer allowed in OS5].

/PaulN
Anonymous
August 9, 2005 9:49:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

OS 5 compatible DAs work fine for OS5. You just don't want to mix pre OS 5
DAs with OS5.

"Paul Nevai" <nevai@math.ohio-state.edu> wrote in message
news:D daqbi$gk8$1@charm.magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu...
> sorceror171@gmail.com aszonygya:
> : I really haven't run into problems with DAs, though maybe I'm just
> :lucky and picked the good ones... or perhaps you're using a PalmOS5
> :machine and DAs aren't really supposed to work there?
>
> Well, I only checked a few dozen. Many problems are not so obvious to the
> user but are considered major defects such as memory leaks and lack of
error
> checking.
>
> In principle, DAs work on OS5 [unless they themselves do stuff which is no
> longer allowed in OS5].
>
> /PaulN
Anonymous
August 10, 2005 2:35:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <ddabka$124$2@zrha118x.zrh.siemens.ch>, Laurent Bugnion wrote:
>> http://ingles.homeunix.org/software/kiosk/
>
> The link appears to be broken.

Well, dang. My webserver is an old Mac SE/30 and it's been having
trouble staying up the last few days. Maybe some component has finally
worn out. I may have to retire the poor dear. :-/

--
Sincerely,

Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

"If we have to live our lives weighing every action, every communication,
every human contact, wondering what agents of the state might find out
about it, analyze it, judge it, possibly misconstrue it, and somehow use
it to our detriment, we are not truly free. That sort of life is
characteristic of totalitarian countries, not a free and open society..."
- George Radwanski, Privacy Commissioner of Canada
http://www.privcom.gc.ca/information/ar/02_04_10_e.asp
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 1:48:18 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Paul,

I (ignorantly) use a few DA's. What do you know about Call Lookup DA?
I've been using it a good long while now and absolutely love it! I
really wish I could find its equivalent in the "Memo-realm". "MemoLeaf"
has been excellent for me but if I could find a DA that would do the
same thing, I'd be most happy!

Absolutely LOVE your pEdit-stuff Man!!

---
Greg
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 2:07:20 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I must confess to an affinity for DA's (I can quit any time).

These are the ones I use ALL the time:

"Back to Shortcut"
"BracesDA"
"Call Lookup DA"
"CipherDA"
"CoolDAs"
"daMemoPad"
"DaylightSavingDA" (well, not ALL the time...)
"ezConvDA"
"LClipDA"
"PopCalcDA"
"ReplaceDA"

Personally, I use "EasyLaunch" (with "TealMaster") to assign
taps/strokes to launch all of my DA's and Hacks.

P.S. Paul, I would appreciate your input if you see some DA's up there
which you have found to be wanting during testing.

---
Greg
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 5:40:34 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

"pike942" <pike942@gmail.com> aszonygya:
:I (ignorantly) use a few DA's. What do you know about Call Lookup DA?
:I've been using it a good long while now and absolutely love it! I
:really wish I could find its equivalent in the "Memo-realm". "MemoLeaf"
:has been excellent for me but if I could find a DA that would do the
:same thing, I'd be most happy!
:
:Absolutely LOVE your pEdit-stuff Man!!

I no longer remember the details. I was very frustrated when working with DAs
and so was my beta team. Get POSE and/or the Palm simulators from Palm and
run your DAs on them. They will report many problems [or crash]. /PaulN
August 14, 2005 12:44:25 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Pete wrote:
> All u DA freaks- pls share the GOOD stuff here:
>
> This is what I LOVE about Palms!! All those freakin COOL DA's!!
>
>

This one is undoubtedly one of the more feature loaded ones. Although it
's no longer supported I believe. It still works fine on my Zire 72s

CoolDAs

http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/cooldas.shtml

This is what you can do with it:

- Show current time, date & week;
- Show current battery information;
- Show current free size & percentage of RAM;
- Show current free size & percentage of the first card;
- Lock & Power off palm;
- Power off palm;
- Toggle the state of back light;
- Soft-Reset palm;
- Set Auto off time;
- Change current privacy;
- Turn on/off beam receiving

While we're at it, Google search for entries with DA at freewarepalm.com
http://snipurl.com/gx5k

--
Regards,
Sparx

Composed on: 13 Aug 05 @ 20:44 IST
I'm using Thunderbird 1.0.6 and GnuPG v 1.41 + Enigmail 0.92

GnuPG Public Key - > http://tinyurl.com/3nfhk <-
!