CHKDSK running at boot

I had a catastrophic battery failure on my notebook, ie the battery went
from 98% to 3% instantly and forced a 'dirty shutdown' of Windows XP
Home SP1. The drive is formatted NTFS and partitioned C/D/E.

Since then, on every boot, I get a message that the D drive needs to be
checked for consistency. I allow this to proceed and the system reports
"Windows has checked the file system and found no errors". However, on
the next boot, it will repeat the process with the same message.

I have forced a full CHKDSK from Properties>Tools>Error checking, with
both "automatically fix file system errors" and "scan for and attempt
recovery of bad sectors" checked. The system carries out this check,
says there are no problems, then reports the above error message, runs
a second check, again says there are no errors, but runs again at the
next boot.

The System log shows two errors, 4 seconds apart during the boot, NTFS,
Id. 55, "The file system on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run
CHKDSK." Disk Management reports the disk as healthy, and everything
works.

I assume, therefore, that there is a 'flag' stuck - I seem to recall
that NTFS has a 'dirty volume' flag or something like that. Is there a
way to clear this?

Thanks.

--
Rik Bean

Check Disk - Disk Checking Runs Upon Boot
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_c.htm#cd